Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 93 F-150 that was my vehicle in high-school. The summer we graduated i was driving through town and got t-boned by some dude that ran a stop sign. Totaled out the pickup and bought it back from the insurance company. Anyways it has been sitting in the shop taking up room for the past 11 years. I had huge plans to build it into a rock-crawling rig with 2.5 ton rockwells, but that ain't happening anytime soon and I just want to get the damn thing out of the shop.

Both fuel tanks have been removed so I would like to build my own fuel cell and have a fuel pump on the frame rail. What kind of gph and pressure do these speed density fuel injection systems need? I would also like to run an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to set the pressure and do away with any factory pressure regulators and the associated vacuum lines.

The smog pump will be going away as well as the EGR system. From what I understand I will want to keep the oxygen sensor in the exhaust so the computer can adjust the fuel mixture correct? Does it matter if I put headers on and build my own exhaust as long as the O2 sensor is somewhere in the exhaust stream?

I yanked the automatic and have a ZF 5 speed to replace it, so no computer issues there. I did an auto to manual conversion on my 95 powerstroke and had to trick the computer into thinking it was in neutral by jumping two wires so it wouldn't throw a code... Same thing here as well?

Seems like all the good old sites like fordfuelinjection.com and others are long gone now...

Does anyone have a picture of the engine showing the location of the different sensors? TAB, TAD, EVR, CANP etc?

I'm sure this will be an ongoing thread with may questions and I probably won't start on it for a week or two as I have some current projects I need to finish up first.

Oh yeah and I sirched on here but didn't come up with much good info. Most threads linked to dead pages for info... :(

·
Registered
436 Posts
I personally would leave the stock pressure regulator, they are simple and work. And its only 1 vac line anyway. Ditch the emissions system, and as I recall all that's left is FPR/b.booster/hvac, so just 3 lines.
I forget the stock fuel pressure offhand tho, 35-45psi??

Sensors:

CANP is a solenoid on the vacuum line to the charcoal canister. Just ditch it, it doesn't affect tuning, and on most PCMs doesn't turn on the CEL.
TAD/TAB are the vacuum sensors next to the EGR. They also don't affect tuning, just open/close the passages for the smog system. Theyre hard to miss, just follow the colored plastic vacuum hoses and youll find em. The EVR is the sensor on top of the EGR. EGR is basically irrelevant, but you have to tell the PCM the EGR is closed via the EVR, or it will throw codes and affect tuning. You need to keep the O2 sensor roughly where it is so it doesn't affect tuning too much, but moving it a little wont matter.

No comment on the auto-to-manual thing, around here jyards are full of ECM/PCMs and theyre dirt cheap, so I have like 5 or 6 in the shed just in case. So that's the route id take, instead of trying to fool the PCM.

oldfuelinjection.com is what became of fordfuelinjection.com, after Ford went after Ryan and told him to change his domain. Also it would seem that it is currently unavailable too, which kind of sucks. HOWEVER, someone else is hosting all that info, HERE :smokin:

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hell yes, that site is a wealth of info. I will do some reading on there and come back with any questions I may have later. Thanks a ton! I was hoping someone would have saved that page! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts