Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of changing the cooling system up in my hilux, It has a 1jz vvti out of a jzx100, Currently using a slightly modified v6 4runner rad with 2 Spal 12" pusher fans in front and is just not doing the job!

I've found a 2000 MR2 Spyder 3 core ally radiator that with some mods to rad support will fit under the top bar on the rad support, core size works out slightly larger than what i currently have and will allow me to mount 2 12" puller fans inbetween the motor and rad with a shroud, Should end up very neat and will leave enough room that i can reinstate my aircon YESS as before the temp would creep 1 degree at a time whilst driving until i had to turn it off,

Going this route will mean the radiator will be lower than the engine and i will need an expansion tank up higher in the engine bay, Does anyone have experience with plumbing Expansion tanks into cars that never had one, I've attached a photo of where i think the large hose from the bottom of the expansion tank should go, But the other line from the top of the expansion tank is the one i'm not sure where to go with, Would i tap and fit an outlet on the top radiator outlet on the head near the thermostat? so hot fluid and air can go to the top of the expansion tank and then return to the "cold" side of the radiator (top of rad fitting circled in photo)

Going to delete my second battery for the moment and make a new aluminium airbox where the battery currently is and make the Header/expansion tank and mount it where the airbox currently is,

Also chucked a couple of photos of the rig to have a look at

Cheers everyone

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put a HJ75 3 core rad in my 7m powered LN65, gives a decent amount more core area than the stock unit. From memory it's the same width but much taller. I had to notch the ribs in the bonnet to clear the cap and it sits below the frame at the bottom but I added some armor basically level with the main leaf to protect it (stock hanger).

From memory different engined J75's had the same dimensions with the inlet/outlets in different places.

Since adding AC I have trouble keeping it cool on the freeway in summer, going to ditch the shroud as it's sitting right on the core due to space constraints and I think making things worse. If that doesn't work I think I'll try venting the bonnet just behind the rad.
I run 2x deep 11" spal pullers. No expansion tank, just overflow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply, Are the 7m's shorter than the Jz's? There is no way i'm going to fit fans between the motor and rad on the engine side of the rad support at most i probably have 25mm at a few pulleys and one is around 10-12mm gap to the rad, How much gap have you got between your rad and the a/c condensor? apparently from what i've found about 15mm gap between them is ideal as it let cool air get in from around the condensor to go through the rad as well, can't believe how hot the condensors get though wow

I'm going to start a build thread today, I should have started one a long time ago, and will add in my findings with the Mr2 radiator and expansion tank as we go along

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the blocks are about the same length but you get a single row serpentine belt while I have a 3 row crank pulley to deal with.

I went with electric water and PS pumps to get pulleys out the way and free up room. The 2 fans straddle the crank pulley with about 7mm of clearance around the sides and the same back to the timing cover. Shit's tight. Alt and AC are both below crank centerline to keep their belts out the way.

I'd say i have 10-15mm between rad and condenser. With a bit of work you can use a RZN149 condenser which will work better with R134a than the old style.

Keen to see how much chopping you have to do to get the mr2 unit in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah wow, getting rid of the water pump and ps pump frees up a bit of space great way of doing it, Back of my rocker cover is about 10mm off the firewall aswell, Will definately post up some pics of what i have to do, I've had the car engineered so what ever i do to the rad support will have to be able to pass engineering again if i happen to get it stickered for some reason, so will be well thought out and carried out!

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts