Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[SIZE=5][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Hey, Does anybody know where I can pick up a complet ECM for my 94' ram? It took a dump on me two weeks agaio, and every test that I have performed on the truck lead down to the ECM needs to be replaced. :( I've been searching for a comple ECM, but I cant find one anywhere. :mad3: If anyone has any sugestions that would be great. I'm also wondering how much difference in price there is between a OEM and a aftermarket one with more performance.
Any help would be great. If you want more info on what test or bout the truck, I use yahoo messenger, screen name is nudelles
Thanks[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
One easy way to determine if the ECU is bad is to turn the key on and see if the check engine light is illuminated or not. If it doesn't light up, it is most likely a bad ECU.

I would try a junkyard and if that doesn't work do a price check on the mopar performance ECU vs. a standard ECU. In every case that I have checked, the mopar performance one was cheaper than the stock one at the local stealership. I don't know if that will be the case for you or not.

There should be enough around in the junkyard; the Grand Cherokees came with 318's as well as the Dakotas, so besides a Ram ECU you should be able to use one of them.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
you should be able to buy a "rebuilt" ECU from Mopar for around $150.

to see if the ECU is bad, remove it from the truck and sniff it. if it smells like burnt electrical stuff, its bad...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive done alot of testing on the truck, and I have found that my PCM is not puting power out to the cam and crank sensors, hence my ASD shutting power off to my coil. The check engine light use to come on, but now it doesnt. A PCM out of a Grand Cherokee or Dakota should work? What about out of a Drango? when was the first year for thoes being made? My truck is OBD1 and I can find computers for OBD2 but they are around $600 plus I would have to convert it,I dont know how bad this would be, because I would get alot more codes. Have any of you heard of anyone converting it over to OBD2? If so, was it easy and did it work? Thanks for your help.
Also, did you go to the mopar website to get the performance PCM's? That site is www.mopar.com correct? Thanks again for the help!
Ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have went threw the mopar site, and I cant get anywhere where it will give me a quote or let me even look up my truck. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
First off, I wouldn't convert to OBD 2. It wouldn't be worth you spending all that money when I think you can find a usable OBD 1 ECU for much less than that. You wouldn't gain anything from doing it.

As for the ECU, like I said before, if you aren't seeing the Check Engine Light, its smoked. Been there and done that before.

The durango was first built in 1998, therefore all of them would be OBD 2 ECU's. I would be looking for an ECU for a '94 or '95 Grand Cherokee (I'm not sure if they had V8 Grand cherokees in 1993) or a Dakota ECU from about '93 to '95. Just make sure that if you have an auto transmission that you get an auto transmission ECU because the overdrive and lockup features are run off of the ECU.

I would try looking a bit harder. Have you went down to your local dealership and asked about stock ECU's as well as Mopar Performance ones? I've never priced a MP one myself, but I have heard they are around $250 to $300. MUCH cheaper than your $600 quote. Have you looked on EBay? You can find a lot of stuff on there. I also can think of at least a couple places online that sell the mopar performance ECU's. I bet you could look online and check the dealership in a couple of hours and have one ordered and be on your way if you really wanted to.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the site that GRMhick gave me and I found couple places with the computer. I didnt search summit, never thought about them. I have called the dealership (local ) and they gave me the $600 quote plus a $75 core. They didnt bring up any performance PCM's avaiable. Although latey it seems that the dealership doesnt know anything or want bussness. As for ebay, nada, I have searched after my classes for a couple days and havent found anything that works. How important are thoes last 4 numbers? One junk yard says that they will cross over but another says they wont. I found one out of a local city that told me $50 for the PCM and if it doesnt work bring it back, so what can I lose right? Thanks for your help again guys.
Btw Mondtster.. that makes $.04 that you have given me.. brew ahhahaha.. keep it up please.. Im a poor college kid..lol

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would imagine that the difference in part numbers would be regarding the calibration for different emissions setups. Everything I have seen regarding different applications leads back to this, but I may be wrong.

The dealer (at least the ones I have been to) will never look up any performance parts for you unless you ask to see their MP catalog and spoon feed them part numbers. Part of this I believe is due to the fact that the MP stuff is cheaper than stock stuff. (At least EVERY ECU I have ever priced has been) So, that is the reason they didn't come up with any performance ECU for it.

For $50 for an ECU, I don't think you can go wrong. Like I said, the only thing you would need to be careful of is to make sure you get an auto or manual tranny ECU for whatever you have. I would just tell them you are looking for an ECU for a Dakota or you are looking for an ECU for a Grand Cherokee and not mention what it is actually going in. It seems like most people working behind the parts counter don't know what is going on anyway and don't like it when you do that sort of thing. (mainly because I bet they have lots of idiots doing it and get the wrong part doing it and try to return it)

If nothing else, Summit has them and you normally can get that stuff from them in a couple of days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help, Im going to try the one from the junkyard, I go home next weekend so Ill pick it up then. I agree with the dealer crap, it makes sence, even though I asked them if they had any performance stuff, but oh well. Thanks for the help again.. I just cant wait to go wheeling.. Im having withdraws...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts