Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Blazer that drops oil pressure under these conditions:

In 4 wheel high with 4 passengers and gear we were pulling a 5 mile grade offroad between 10 - 20 mph, then we heard the lifters start rattling and noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading almost if not all the way low. As soon as we turned around and went downhill the gauge read normal again and the rattling stopped. We checked the oil and it was full. It did this one other time while heading up in the snow.

Driving in town and coming to a complete stop the pressure dropped very low (lower than normal that is) and upon taking off it regained pressure and didn't drop that low again.

Has anyone had this problem? We are planning on dropping the pan and checking the pickup to see if it's clogged anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
If you drop the pan might as well put in a fresh high volume pump.
I would run a mechanical gauge and verify the pressure.

Minimum pressure is generally 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
how many miles are on the engine. It could be trash in the oil pickup. Under a load at higher RPM its not getting enough oil passed through the pickup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
82000 miles on it and it seems to be when it's heading up an incline that the pressure is lost, not sure if creating more of a load or putting the oil at the rear of the pan is creating the problem. Dropping the pan will show any obvious reasons, but if everything looks normal when the pan is off I'm not sure what to do besides putting on the high volume pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts