Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the proccess of looking to upgrade the d30 and 8.25, which do fine up to 35s. I just don't like breakage and with 37"+ tires this seems to be a good option. I am looking at 94+ 2500 Ram axles, which are dual d60s when configured correctly.

Anyways can someone tell me would it be better to keep them full width and beef up the unibody big time, as in welding the steel to it. Or should I just pay to get them shortend? If I do have them shortened I still want them a little wider than 60"s. If I keep the full width I'll get some custom wheels made with like 6" back spacing.

Does anyone have a clue what kind of $$ I'm gonna have to spend once I have the axles to get them under my XJ w/ still keep the front coils? Can I just use the d30 brakets and weld them onto the d60?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Search around, I'm sure there's plenty that's been talked about for beefing the XJ unibody some to accomodate bigger axles.

I'm sure you could do all that to newer Dodge D60s, but you'll end up with a non kingpin D60 front with vaccuum disconnect. That will probably prove to be a big pain when you try to put stock brackets from your D30 onto the D60 housing. You would also have to figure out a way to redo the UCA mount that is cast onto the Dodge diff and make it match up to the UCA you would need for your XJ.

A better option may be to find D60 from a 70s 1-ton Ford.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
I don't have any answers to your questions...

But, you "may" have trouble with clearance on the pinions. You may ned to get the axles shortened (the front one anyway) so that the pumpkin is offset so that it fits under the engine bay.

Just something to watch for if/when you do this conversion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the brackets are different. The upper CA is striaght above the lower bracket on the dodges, on ours they are angled and toward the center. Also i dont think the coil buckets will line up...plus they are always enganged(i think) so you cant unlock the front.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
94+ ball joint dodge 60s use unit bearing hubs, 30 spline inners, and are disco. Best to find a real D60 IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts