Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 single cab with a 22r and some major body and frame rust that I was planning on linking and updating a bit. Picked up a free and very clean 94 extra cab, sans engine/trans/harness/ecu. I'd like to put my motor in it since it only has a few hundred trail miles on a decent build. I plan on converting it to fuel injection at some point, but for now it will stay carb'd.
I know next to nothing about the inner workings of the 94's electrical system. Getting the motor to run won't be a problem, but how much of the chassis electrical goes through the ecu? Will I be able to use any of the factory gauges or even the headlights for that matter without the engine harness and ecu?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
575 Posts
first off....what is in the 94 cab now 22re or v6? lights should work guages will not work....speedo might if its mechanical not electrical....i would convert it now ...or you will run into lots of hassles in the long run unless its trailer rig...

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure on that yet. Vin plates are gone, as are the doors (if they had stickers). If it was a v6 am I totally screwed as far as the cluster ever functioning?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That's where my truck went fucker!:flipoff2: jk
If it was a v6 you will have to make new motor mounts and swap your whole drivetrain in.. Electrical wise your better off ripping your dash out and running all your 85 wires from dash forward, will make things simple.. Just adapt your rear chassis harness into your junk..

·
Registered
575 Posts
if it was me i would rewire truck for 94 22re......buy a cab harness ,buy a speedo thats mechanical..harness for motor or complete efi swap i see them on here for $200..dont forget gas tank.. you may have to repin new 94 ecu plugs with old ecu plugs....it may sounds tough but ive repinned many many cars ,ford's chevy's and lots of honda acura toyota's....its time consuming but you'll thank yourself whenever thing works and is no big deal....i have the 85 ecu wire pin codes to know where goes where....but this is what i would do but it do know how to do this as well.....and best tool to pull ecu pins or rewire womans hair clip...the little wire lookng things...just unfold and make long wise , remove the rubber on the tip and i sharpen just a little but to make a flat head screw driver look to it..... but of course a tiny tiny screw driver will work as well but this way is simple and can bend wire if needed....there will be some wires unused from the 94 harness such as knock sensor and some others but should be fairly easy....i would show you how if you was closer.....yes the hair pin thing is oakey ........ :flipoff2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts