Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'94 f-350 ?'s (pre-PS)

I looked at and drove a '94 F350 today. Truck looks great, interior is good, seems to run fine. This will be my first deisel and will serve DD an tow rid duties. Hopeing to have it checked out by my mechanic on Tuesday.

Here are the specs:
-'94 F350 4door
-7.3 deisel (pre-PowerStroke)
-Banks turbo
-188K miles (kinda worried about this)
-Auto tranny
-$7600

Seems to be in great condition...and I know the deisels can last a LOOOOONG time...but should I worry about anythign on this rig?? I know not to tow with OD on...so the auto should be ok for me. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The Auto isn't the strongest tranny in the world, but it'll run till it breaks.
th rest ofthe truck sounds like a steal.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Mick said:

th rest ofthe truck sounds like a steal.
That's why I am worried...this is at a dealership. I saw it online and went in to check it out yesterday and they told me the price was $9999. Then today I went in and talked to the guy in charge of the internet sales, and he had it at $7600...so I was afraid I was missing something since it seems to be a great price.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
a dealer is probably selling it cheap for two reasons:

1. He took it in on trade and its using up inventory money, needs to sell it. Work them, trust me, you can get it cheaper, cause they're still gonna whack you with dealer handling fees.

2. High mileage cars are hard to sell, first because they're such high miles, diesel or not most people are scared off immediatly, and second because very very few banks even with excellent credit will finance, so its proabably going to ba a cash deal. And then of the people out there with the ability to write a check for it, most will opt to pay more for a low mileage unit.

HTH
Jeremy

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CrazyHorse said:
I'd be curious why it has a banks, as the factory turbo in 93-94 is a much better turbo...:confused: :confused: :confused:

From what I know of these motors...the '94 deisels had 3 different versions
-7.3L V8
-7.3L V8 Turbo
-7.3L V8 Powerstroke

This is a pre-powerstroke, and I assume it was a non-turbo from the factory. I have heard good things about the Banks products, but have never owned a deisel so never really looked into all that.

This is going to be my DD and towrig...I will be very happy with it if it makes it to 250,000 miles...which I think it should do with proper maintenance (which I plan to give it). Are there any problems with that motor that are common??? I can't seem to find much info on the pre-powerstrokes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
fj40john said:

From what I know of these motors...the '94 deisels had 3 different versions
-7.3L V8
-7.3L V8 Turbo
-7.3L V8 Powerstroke

This is a pre-powerstroke, and I assume it was a non-turbo from the factory. I have heard good things about the Banks products, but have never owned a deisel so never really looked into all that.

This is going to be my DD and towrig...I will be very happy with it if it makes it to 250,000 miles...which I think it should do with proper maintenance (which I plan to give it). Are there any problems with that motor that are common??? I can't seem to find much info on the pre-powerstrokes.
by 94 they should have all been factory turbo, but knowing ford there could have been a few stragglers... They're good trucks, you should be happy with it. I own a 93 with the factory turbo motor, and have added a second gen ATS exhaust side housing, 3" outlet housing and downpipe, and a 4" mandrel bent exhaust, and it pulls hard... I have an intercooler waiting at my parents for it, and will then have my buddy's shop dyno and tune it for me, he's expecting to get me up to about 350 hp, and about 700 ft lbs... Being all mechanical motors it's easy to make power...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
94 was the year that nothing was constant with the ford diesels.

According to my info, they started the year offering a choice of turbo or NA motors, then about halfway through switched entirely to T motors, not long afterwords they dropped the IDI motors for the power strokes.

I think they switched between 3 or 4 differnt trannies that year too.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
early year 94s were NA, mid year the change was made to IDI turbo motors, and 95 was the first PSD year. We all know Ford, and how weird they can be, but this is the official word from Ford.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
liliysdad said:
early year 94s were NA, mid year the change was made to IDI turbo motors, and 95 was the first PSD year. We all know Ford, and how weird they can be, but this is the official word from Ford.
almost, the IDI turbo began being offered in november 92 for the 93 model year (I know as mine is a jan 93 build date with a factory turbo motor...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Like I said, Ford is odd, but according to Ford itself, the IDI turbo was not an option until mid 94. I aint saying they are right, jsut repeating them.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...not ;94 for me. MY mechanic took a look this morning and basically talked me out of buying it in about 5 minutes. He gave me a list (fairly long) of thing she had seen wrong with these, and things that he could possibly see going on that rig soon.

He did suggest that I spend a bit more and get a '97 or newer body style/motor, so that I wouldnt have to worry 2 much about anythign. From what I can see he is right (especially since he has no reason to tell me wrong...he won't make any money from me if I have a rig that works)...now I just need to find a cheap '97+ F250 (or 350) diesel, auto, 4 door, with less than 100K on it. Hmmm...I think my budget maxes out at about $15000 out the door. No one seems to have anything that fits my needs.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts