Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is not my truck just my girlfriends grandfathers truck.I know nothing about ford diesels so i figured id ask here before regestering on a ford forum.

the truck in question is a early 94 f350 diesel with a factory turbo. Non powerstroke, 4 speed manual with overdrive (5 spd basically). He recently replace the injection pump (mech. injection) and when he went to buy a new pump the old pump was slightly thicker (iirc) than the knew one that is the one that is supposed to be on the truck. He also belives that all the injection lines were not pluged into the injection pump correctly by the PO.

The truck starts and runs fine but since the new pump there has been almost a 2mpg drop in fuel mileage. Also it seems that the turbo is either not working or the wastegate is bad cause it does not seem to build boost (there is no boost guage and my bullydog module will not work on his truck, pre OBD II) because we dont here the turbo at all.

Also the high idle no longer will work due to the new pump cause the arm to engage it no long enough due to the thinner pump.

Like i said this is the pump that is called for this truck so we dont know whats going on here so any help from here would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Im no expert but it may be because the timing is off..The guy on oilburners that sells the moose pumps reset my timing and i went from 11mpg to 12-13 on my uhualer..

Also the international trucks run a different pump than the ford pickups. It may be the issue.Many time rebuilders dont really care what exactly the part comes off of. Just as long as it will "work" in their world.:shaking:

Just takling a stab in the dark as ive had more than one desiel guy bring those issues up when i asked about my pump.

·
Registered
84 Posts
First off this is not my truck just my girlfriends grandfathers truck.I know nothing about ford diesels so i figured id ask here before regestering on a ford forum.

the truck in question is a early 94 f350 diesel with a factory turbo. Non powerstroke, 4 speed manual with overdrive (5 spd basically). He recently replace the injection pump (mech. injection) and when he went to buy a new pump the old pump was slightly thicker (iirc) than the knew one that is the one that is supposed to be on the truck. He also belives that all the injection lines were not pluged into the injection pump correctly by the PO.

The truck starts and runs fine but since the new pump there has been almost a 2mpg drop in fuel mileage. Also it seems that the turbo is either not working or the wastegate is bad cause it does not seem to build boost (there is no boost guage and my bullydog module will not work on his truck, pre OBD II) because we dont here the turbo at all.

Also the high idle no longer will work due to the new pump cause the arm to engage it no long enough due to the thinner pump.

Like i said this is the pump that is called for this truck so we dont know whats going on here so any help from here would be great. thanks.
Thinner how? Overall length? or mounting inside the timing housing? Does the truck have a fuel leak in the valley?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If the injection lines weren't hooked up to the pump correctly, you'd know it.....

Those trucks only make 5-7psi of boost in stock form, it is basically impossible to hear the turbo with a stock exhaust and stock boost. The only way to confirm that it is working correctly is to put a gauge on it and monitor what it's doing. The timing definitely could be off.

The high idle solenoid, if I'm remember correctly on my old truck, was only to help warm the motor up quicker in the winter so if it's not working it's not the end of the world, but I would be concerned with making sure the correct injection pump is on that motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you need a special timing light. sounds like the timing is off. also you cant mix up the hardlines, they only fit one way. what is the revlimiter rpm?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have no idea and he prolly doesnt either. he is a 60 year old man with a camper lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts