Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Not new to the forum but I've been away from 4wd for a few years... Recently got into a '94 HiAce 4wd van and am making some basic mods for fuel economy and drivability. Been searching and cross referencing part numbers for two days now, have a better understanding but still a ways off from answering my question so here are some knowns about the van and then my question...

Front to back drive line facts:
-1KZ-TE diesel (sweet...)
-30-40le which is a A340F auto trans.
-STOCK adapter that mates the A340F to the t-case(TOYOTA HIACE REGIUSACE KZH106W-MRPGT | POWERTRAIN-CHASSIS | EXTENSION HOUSING ATM | Japan Parts EU) this adapter is unique for HiAce according to parts cross-ref leading me to believe that this t-case/tranny combo is unique, NOT that the t-case is unique... This case is also used in Previas.
-Stock t-case is a left hand drop and is of unknown model so far. Its an AWD differential/fluid coupling case with no controls. (TOYOTA HIACE REGIUSACE KZH106W-MRPGT | POWERTRAIN-CHASSIS | TRANSFER CASE EXTENSION HOUSING | Japan Parts EU)
-This is NOT a married t-case/trans, they have separate fluids and rear-front seals.

Intention: I would like to swap in a pickup/4runner manual shift t-case mainly for its disconnect ability and only secondly for its low range. This should be doable seeing as there are quite a few models of trucks/runners using the A340...

Question 1: Would a t-case from an auto (A340) truck/runner bolt onto the back of my A340F trans? This is auto housing to t-case case mounting...

Question 2: If my auto output shaft length does not match the donor I could "technically" swap it into my trans?

Question 3: Which trucks/runners am I looking for? I think the a340 was mainly behind 22re in late 80-mid 90? Issue with that is those t-cases are right hand drop... That led me to finding left hand drop t-cases behind '96-'00+ runners and tacos that where mated to A340s.

Lets ignore drive shaft length issues (t-case flange offsets), mounting issues, shifter location issues in a van etc... Just concerned with them mating and functioning for now.

My brain is now spinning with years, models numbers and case/housing part numbers... I either need to sit on this for a few more days to let it soak in or I need some guidance from any one with a trans/t-case bible! Thanks for the help, if we figure this out I'll post lots of photos of the swap!

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
What model is you're Tcase(not the extensions part number)?
You're not alone. The awd fzj80/uzj100 people want something similar(but a doubler setup) and have the same tranny adaptation dilemmas, but different model drivetrain parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already have a manual hub swap on the go with part time 4wd in mind, thats the aim of this whole swap. I'll do some fzj80/uzj100 digging.

I have looked all over and cant seem to find any markings on the t-case, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The kz was available with the a340 behind it, which was found in surfs/4Runners and Hilux. Why not just grab one of those transmissions? You'll have to sort the shift linkage out but probably mates similarly. Or switch out the tail housing from van and install the truck tcase. Better yet go to toyodiy.com and cross-reference the two transmission to see if the tail housings are similar. Then you could hopefully just install the tcase. You could also get an adapter to put a different tcase in, I think you mention this, but tail shift would have to be correct and tail housing bolt pattern.
Sorry not much help. Wish we got those diesels here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toyota Hiace Van U-LH109V(1993) / DX.Part Time 4WD.Timing Belt Changed. / US$4,355 / 2,962 km / OS NETWORK CO.,LTD / Photo No. 26 [ tradecarview ]

Not sure if this helps or just makes me more confused, still trying to track down its VIN for cross refs... Very interested in what t-case this has. Seems it is an e-locking central dif manual shift hi-low t-case?

From what I found with cross refs, the 96+ LH drop tcase has a different mounting pattern to the back of the A340 that is IN my HiAce... Maybe they revised the A340 at some point? Seems the simplest solution is still to drop in a full package auto/t-case with a LH drop but I'm trying to avoid that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota Hiace Van U-LH109V(1993) / DX.Part Time 4WD.Timing Belt Changed. / US$4,355 / 2,962 km / OS NETWORK CO.,LTD / Photo No. 26 [ tradecarview ]

Not sure if this helps or just makes me more confused, still trying to track down its VIN for cross refs... Very interested in what t-case this has. Seems it is an e-locking central dif manual shift hi-low t-case?

From what I found with cross refs, the 96+ LH drop tcase has a different mounting pattern to the back of the A340 that is IN my HiAce... Maybe they revised the A340 at some point? Seems the simplest solution is still to drop in a full package auto/t-case with a LH drop but I'm trying to avoid that...
hey, i have a 94 Hiace, same model. Ive been thinking the same thing. Did you ever figure anything out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts