Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Time to make it RHD for giggles.

Curious if the toyota water pump gets overworked pushing fluid that far and high? No experience, just a thought. Adds a lot more coolant capacity for sure.
Good question. Everything I read said the water pump would be fine. The whole thing is kind of an experiment.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That dash bar and a-pillars are leftover right? I saw the dash bar then started looking and it looks like the bends in the a-pillars are at different spots too.
Yeah, they are.

I can't believe I hadn't noticed that. That one pic from the front especially it looks weird. I'm going to go take a look.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That dash bar and a-pillars are leftover right? I saw the dash bar then started looking and it looks like the bends in the a-pillars are at different spots too.
Definitely asymmetrical and I think I know why.

The cage was built around the factory dash, which is higher on the drivers side because of the instrument cluster. The A pillars are bent differently to accommodate the dash also.

It looks really weird with no dash in there now. The good news is the dash bar is only half welded in and will be easy to move. I'll likely not mess with the A pillars at this point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definitely asymmetrical and I think I know why.

The cage was built around the factory dash, which is higher on the drivers side because of the instrument cluster. The A pillars are bent differently to accommodate the dash also.

It looks really weird with no dash in there now. The good news is the dash bar is only half welded in and will be easy to move. I'll likely not mess with the A pillars at this point.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but i would scrap that cab and get something like a rock lizard chassis to swap everything over, That thing looks sketchy and like way too much work to salvage.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm not trying to be a dick, but i would scrap that cab and get something like a rock lizard chassis to swap everything over, That thing looks sketchy and like way too much work to salvage.
It's been a consideration since I bought it, reusing the drivetrain in a chassis. I'm pretty far down this road though. If anything I'll bend new A pillars. It looks weird without the dash in there, I'd still say it's safer than most of the prebent cages. We'll see.

BTW probably my last post in this thread, moving to another site.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts