Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Went to Clayton, OK and had a good time. Swapped out my lowers to 2.5" 7075 after bending a couple of them pretty bad on the last trip. The YJ did fine. Wish I had more power. The radiator sprung a leak on the last day at the crimps so I drove it back to camp and parked it. Next update will be the 4 cylinder and SM420 coming out and being replaced with a 5.3 & auto. Most likely a 4L60E.

IMG_5161 copy.jpg

IMG_0468 copy.jpg

IMG_5612 copy.jpg

DJI_0123.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
How fast have you driven it so far? Wondering how your rear driveshaft vibrations are with the offset diff?
I've gotten it up to about 55 MPH. No issues with vibration. The yokes are synced and angles are equal at the t-case and pinion so I'm not expecting any problems out of it any time soon. The u-joints seem to be holding up just fine with how I use it. The offset is right at 15 degrees, so I don't imagine that to be enough to really wear anything out even if I did drive it more often at speed. Maybe if I did more go-fast or highway type of driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cool good to know, debating building a 9" steer axle instead of just going full float because the price difference isn't much if I can run stock shafts.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Cool good to know, debating building a 9" steer axle instead of just going full float because the price difference isn't much if I can run stock shafts.
Rear steer has been great. If you do a lot of crawling, I would recommend doing it. I can't think of a time that I thought "I wish I didn't have rear steer". I can think of plenty of times with my other rig that I thought " I wish I DID have rear steer" though. It's pretty cool the stuff you can do with it.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Well, the 2.5 is officially on its way out. I was driving it yesterday and the 4 squirrels got pissed off. Off to find a 5.3 or 6.0. I'm wanting to put a 6L80E behind either engine that I end up with, but concerned about how to control it. I know people have done it successfully, so I'll probably just pick one up and figure out the shifting once I have it all installed. If I find the right deal on a 5.3/4L60E combo, I may go that route as well.

221 - 227 of 227 Posts