Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hoping there is still interest here on this build. I finished out the driver side boatside tubes tonight and replaced a tube on the passenger side that I didn't like the cope on. Ordered $700 worth of plate for the boatsides and belly, trans tunnel, and new floors/interior panels. Using 3/16" AR 400 for the boatsides and belly, 12 gauge plate for the trans tunnel, and 1/8" 5052 aluminum for the floors and interior panels. My PRP 2" lap belt for the back seat came in today. Hopefully only about 1 more week of small fab stuff and I'll be ready to tear it all the way down for paint. I'm going out of town the next couple weekends so I'll be working on it week nights to get it done.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
How hefty do you estimate it'll scale in at? All the notches look nice and tight to me, makes me want more practice with the squirt gun.
Hadn't really thought about it but I'm guessing with the wheels, tires, and axles that I'm using, about 5,000 lbs. The sprung weight should be pretty close to a stock Jeep considering how much body and frame that I removed and replaced with tubing and aluminum.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hoping there is still interest here on this build. I finished out the driver side boatside tubes tonight and replaced a tube on the passenger side that I didn't like the cope on. Ordered $700 worth of plate for the boatsides and belly, trans tunnel, and new floors/interior panels. Using 3/16" AR 400 for the boatsides and belly, 12 gauge plate for the trans tunnel, and 1/8" 5052 aluminum for the floors and interior panels. My PRP 2" lap belt for the back seat came in today. Hopefully only about 1 more week of small fab stuff and I'll be ready to tear it all the way down for paint. I'm going out of town the next couple weekends so I'll be working on it week nights to get it done.
1/8" al flooring seems pretty thick. Is that normal for using aluminum? Or just going for overkill?

Keep up the good work. This things going to be sick. Looking forward to getting to see it wheeling.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
1/8" al flooring seems pretty thick. Is that normal for using aluminum? Or just going for overkill?

Keep up the good work. This things going to be sick. Looking forward to getting to see it wheeling.
Only 3.5 lbs. per sq. ft. Not sure if it's normal but will suit my preference. Hoping my first run will be K2 or Wolf Caves.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Started on the new trans tunnel and closing up some of the voids in the floor. Turning out pretty clean so far. The angle on top of the tunnel is just there to keep everything straight while I build it. In the end, it will have a removable panel on top, and removable panels on each side. One on the passenger side to fill the trans, and another on the driver side to service the transfer case.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Transmission tunnel updates. There are 3 large access panels for assembly and maintenance to the transmission, transfer case, and front driveshaft. All of the bolt holes will be outfitted with nut clips for quick and easy installation/removal of fasteners when needed. You can see an example of one of the nut clips that's inserted in one of the top holes.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
What did you use the angle iron for (on top of the tunnel)? Was that just there for mockup?
I used that angle to keep the flat bar on top straight when there was nothing beneath it for support, and also to keep everything square while I was welding it all out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, building a Jeep in a small 2 car garage in the middle of Houston makes things a bit more interesting. Good thing is, if I ever want to get rid of something, all I have to do is move it out to the street, and 10 minutes later someone has picked it up and is on their way to the scrap yard with it.
Man, I did a double take at those pictures of your townhomes when I ran across this thread. I was wondering where else in the states they have townhomes like we do here in Houston. I'm fortunate to live about a mile from downtown but still have a nice yard and 2 car detached garage that'll be the home of my YJ when I get done with it at my brother's shop in Beaumont. Hopefully you have non-asshole neighbors. Badass build so far.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Damn, just when I talk myself out of 47's this thread pops back up!

I'm dragging belly really bad on 43's and 120" WB, what WB you running. I'm wishing I would of kept mine around 115".

Build is looking good :smokin:
Dragging your belly huh? Whats it set at right now I dont remember what I read in your thread? Im going to be in that 115"-120" range so im curious

Im following Danny keep it up tranny tunnel piece is nice work

·
Premium Member
14,734 Posts
Awesome build :smokin:

Thank you for posting the detailed or "random" pics as you call them, those are often the best ones and provide some "ah ha" moments for ideas :D

Keep it up!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Do you have any close up pictures of how you redid your body mounts after the boatsides.
I cut out all of the body mounts and welded the body directly to the chassis once the tubing was in. You can see on the exterior pics that the tubing at the firewall and along the side at the top of the boat side is welded to the body. I also welded the floor under the front seats to the tubing using some sheetmetal. You can see examples of that in the trans tunnel photos I posted. The body is solid on the tubing and I don't see any issues other than it not being removable from the frame at this point. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Update. I lost my old login info and didn't feel like messing with trying to revive it so I made a new login. In regards to the Jeep, I've made some progress lately and things are looking good.

Trans tunnel is complete. Added a mount for the t-case shifters that worked out pretty good. Will be easy to install/remove if needed and easy to make adjustments on the fly as well.
Boatsides are complete.
Fuel filter mount is complete.
Electrical panel mounts and ground studs are installed under the hood.
Last 4 tube gussets are made. Need to weld them in this week along with some tube caps that need to be installed.
Next up after this is paint!

Boatsides in process

Skid plate template

Boatsides complete

Last 4 tube gussets that took way too long to fit.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Getting closer. I decided to add some extra bracing in the chassis and have only worked on it a couple days since my last update. Also decided to ditch my tube fender and grill hoop idea and built a stinger tied into the engine cage instead. Just need to make it removable now. I've got a couple more tubes next to the seats to add then work on some small welding details before I tear it down for paint.

61 - 80 of 226 Posts