Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I am very new at this!!! I have a stock 95 YJ and I am wondering what is the best way to go for wheeling??? I dont want to spend a lot of money so the cheaper the better and I havent a clue where to buy the stuff (preferable online). I am thinking i want 33's but prolly no bigger for now. SO please help to make my stock POS a wheeling beast.
Thanks for the help, Sherm

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This is the wrong board for that kind of post. At least post it in the newbie section. The best thing you can do if you are new to wheeling is read everything on this board, and search for every question you could have. After you have read at least 600 posts then think about posting your own. Start off small, you say cheap, well then you can't afford to fix everything you are going to break also. Get some 2" lift springs, and run 31" tires. You will not break much, join a club and practice.

Ben

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
Sherm said:
[B stock YJ ....cheaper the better ....my stock POS a wheeling beast.[/B]
this is not a cheep sport, and as for "wheeling beast", the "cheaper is better" attitude will not get you there soon

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Sherm said:
ok guys I am very new at this!!! I have a stock 95 YJ and I am wondering what is the best way to go for wheeling??? I dont want to spend a lot of money so the cheaper the better and I havent a clue where to buy the stuff (preferable online). I am thinking i want 33's but prolly no bigger for now. SO please help to make my stock POS a wheeling beast.
Thanks for the help, Sherm
What's the best set up???
Where should we start?

Axles would be an obvious upgrade.
Your "wheeling beast" should have Dana 60s front and rear at least. Throw in gears and lockers front and rear & high steer.

For lift, start out with a spring over axle conversion, with some sort of lift springs, preferrably some customized springs.

Your YJ drivetrain will not be up to "wheeling beast" duty. You could build up the t-case, but money wise, you would be better off to just install an Atlas. The AX15 transmission will not live long, or be geared towards "wheeling beast" duty. A four speed granny gear transmission, such as the T18, T98, Np435, SM420,
will give you many years of service.

Those 33"s you lust after are what many of us us just to get our rigs into our garages:D Think more along the lines of 37"s or 38"s as a starting point. Throw in a set of bead lock rims also.

There are many other points to hit. Winch, hi-lift jacks, spare parts, tools, roll cage, on board welder, blah, blah, blah:rolleyes:
I have not kept a running total, but my guess is we are somewhere around $15-20K.
So when do we start building up your wheeling beast???:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Re: Re: 95' Jeep Yj Help

Robert said:
Your YJ drivetrain will not be up to "wheeling beast" duty.
I guess someone forgot to forward that memo to me :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

·
33,755 Posts
Just take your stock Jeep out and get stuck a few times. Figure out how well or poor it works, and go from there. You'll be amazed at first as to how far your stock Jeep will go. Then you'll want to go farther and find its limitations. Once you get some experience under your belt you'll begin to figure out what you need to upgrade.

Good Luck, and Good Wheeling.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll tell you what I did with mine that's worked pretty good. It's all simple stuff that doesn't cost too much that'll help while you're learning. I recomend and 1" body lift, some extended spring shackles, and 32" mud tires of your choice. The body lift and shackles are pretty simple to do yourself and 32s will make a big difference over the factory sidewalk tires without being too undergeared. There ya go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts