Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 95 chevy s10 sr2 truck.

I want a late 60s chevy short wide but 4x4s are far and few and very expensive.

Can I buy a late 60s short wide and make it 4x4 with parts from my s10 sr2? Nothing extreme, just dirt roads and mud puddles on rainy days.

I will build a small block chevy to hook to s10 transmission and axles.

Would it be easier to put older body on newer frame?

Thanks

·
blatant asshole
12,974 Posts
There are no good answers.

You want to take the pile of shit drive train that is much narrower than the truck you want to put on it and put another 1000+ lbs and 3x more torque to it.

The rear axle is a 27spl 7.25 10b. Junk
The front axle is a 7.25 ifs. Junk
The tcase is a 231. Junk

You didnt ask about putting the axles from the full size into the s10, which would be a massive improvent and is commonly done.

The only time people put s10 shit into a truck like that is the chassis slammer 2wd that want the narrow track width to tuck tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want to take the pile of shit drive train that is much narrower than the truck

The rear axle is a 27spl 7.25 10b. Junk
The front axle is a 7.25 ifs. Junk
The tcase is a 231. Junk
I was under the impression that the 95 s10 sr2 has an 8.5 inch rear ring gear and is 4 inches wider than stock and has heavier duty bearings.

I recall old late 60s trucks having thin frames and not really that wide.

As I said it's not going to be an extreme duty rock crawler or super mud bog truck, its lite duty dirt roads and dear camp wood trails. Dreaming up big numbers and extream parts is not what this is about. It's for daily driving from the farm into town. I will probably build a 307 chevy small block for it, love those 307s.

·
blatant asshole
12,974 Posts
Not even getting into the shitty drive train, youll spend 5x more effor making than needle dick frame take that body or the pos ifs fitting the 60s chassis than you would put a conventional d44/10b into the 60s chassis and the conventional chevy fullsize trans and tcase.

You are picking the emencely harder and weaker option to get a worse result.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I put a 2wd 66 Chevy SWB on a mid 70 K1500 frame which I shortened to length and fabbed the frame to body mounts..

465 4 speed, married 205, Dana 44 front, 12bolt rear, power steering, power brake.
What more do you need on an old truck?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can it be done......sure, anything can be grafted together. The variable is whether it turns out to be a cobbled together piece of crap or decent rig. You are talking a very custom creation so there is no yes or no answer and it depends on your fabrication ability.
I'm not saying using a ZR2 as a basis is good or bad as I can see both sides a little. Generally using a much more modern chassis with an older body has the potential to make a better daily driver if grafted together correctly. The ZR2 models I believe have wider and heavier frames and a wider overall stance, including an 8.5" rear axle, which MAY match up to the older series trucks, but again you need to take some measurements to everything and see how it matches. You don't see many people build a rig like this using the IFS, and of course on Pirate everybody thinks you need ProRock 80's and an Atlas transfer case. To be honest, and knowing you are not building a rock bouncer, the ZR2 drivetrain may be decent (again, I said "may"). Keep in mind that a '95 ZR2 likely weighed as much, if not more, than an '68 Chevy C10 truck and came with an engine that made as much or more horsepower than most of the '68 offerings.
Just to say it one more time.........I'm not saying using the ZR2 is the ultimate or ideal setup by any means, and probably not the route I would choose if doing this project. What I am saying is that some of the posters above have no clue what the ZR2 options were (yes, it's still an S-10 but much different than a standard model) and the drivetrain is not just going to spontaneously explode. A '68 C10 does not weight 1,000 lbs. more and a built 307 is not going to have 3 times the torque (well, maybe if built to the hilt with a blower......).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Short bed 2wd trucks go for more money than 4wd trucks and judging by your dumbass question. I doubt you have the skills to convert a 2wd truck to 4wd. You'd be better off saving money and buying truck you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts