Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
you ever consider rotating your lower power steering box up?
If so, but you chose not to why?

nice build, amazing what you have done with your hybrid yj/tj

subscribed

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you ever consider rotating your lower power steering box up?
If so, but you chose not to why?

nice build, amazing what you have done with your hybrid yj/tj

subscribed
Original plan was to tuck it up higher, But it didnt work out.

I had issues with contacting radiator and no room to change it. So I had to settle for were it is at now. My radiator is somewhat on its last leg, so I think when it passes I will get one that isnt as tall and I will be able to move the box if I want.

I think with a skid up there I will probably just leave it alone, unless it becomes a big annoyance.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had issues with bending my skid, and not being able to brace it enough for it to not bend in its current configuration. Saw what was done on La bamba and it gave me an idea.

Cut back my Lower link brackets and shoved the 2x2 in place. This let me tie into them, and be able to move the bolts for my skid to the sides and get rid of those aweful nutserts.

Made a pair of 2in strap peices to go on either side of the tube. Also made a 1x2 framework inside to keep it reinforced.

I ran out of 1x2. Gonna throw a couple more braces in there since I seem to be quite hard on my bellypan.

Lost a little bit of belly clearance. But I think it was worth it. I gained a smoother transition to my lowers, and a skid I can beat on without worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice coilover springs:p. Rig looks great, good work so far.

Whos high steer arms are you running? Road manners are ok? Looks sweet!
Arms are from fourwheelsupply. Vendor on here. Super resonably priced and quality. It does pretty well on the road. Its a little limp in corners but that's somewhat expected. Still cruises tje freeway fine.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Had a good beatdown run sat/sun. Got close to smacking my box a couple times. So I whipped this up to keep it from harms way.

Also did a grill hoop/stinger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Awesome build man, moonrocks looks pretty crazy. On your rear 4 link did you use poly bushings at the frame end? Was it just cost vs the jj's? Seems like a good way to save money if they dont bind, which judging by the pics seems to work good.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Awesome build man, moonrocks looks pretty crazy. On your rear 4 link did you use poly bushings at the frame end? Was it just cost vs the jj's? Seems like a good way to save money if they dont bind, which judging by the pics seems to work good.

I did use poly bushings frame side. No issues with them so far. I was super strapped for cash when I did the link setup and I already had the polys for other projects so it made sense. The lowers you can tell smoosh a little under flex, but they still look the same as when I first did it. And they work good enough for me to not worry about switching them out yet.

how are the lower links holding up?

stock coils in the rear?

I went a little nuts a couple times out and put a bend in my passenger front lower. But all the other links are still straight. Ill probably just flip it over and keep on trucking with it.

The rear coils are 3.5 RE tj rears.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Fuel cell for it. holds a little over 18 gallons. Made it so it will fit right between the wheelwells and recessed down in the tub. Wanted to be able to get my back seat back in, and gain back some cargo room.

Uses stock sender. I just extended the pump down with another peice of tubing.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Uses stock sender. I just extended the pump down with another peice of tubing.
Hey how did you bolt the pump into the cell? I'm working on bolting mine into an RCI tonight. Is it easily removable? Since you built the cell I guess you welded nuts in the top before you welded the top on?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey how did you bolt the pump into the cell? I'm working on bolting mine into an RCI tonight. Is it easily removable? Since you built the cell I guess you welded nuts in the top before you welded the top on?

Super easy. Used some blind rivnuts from McMaster Carr

21 - 40 of 178 Posts