Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
are your rear lower links bushings at the frame.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Really nice set up, I would be interested in your thoughts on the difference between you leaf and your coil set up without opening up Pandoras box.
I mostly liked my leaves. Mainly because that's all I had know. Had quite a few leaf sprung rigs and my jeep rode the best out of them all. With the wheelbase and spring packs that I had, I had a good amount of controllable flex. With the bilstiens I was able to notice the dampening working ok. Even on leaves I would go fast on the rocks and fast on dirt roads. But it was lacking.

Main issue in rear was axle wrap. Sure an anti wrap bar would fix that but I never made one. Up front with forward shackles I Rammed them quite a bit.

When I did the rear link I was blown away at the difference right out of the gate. Went down the street and flew over speedbumps and could instantly tell the difference. No more power lost through axle wrap. Axle felt solidly planted and ready for action.

When I did the front it was the icing on the cake. I noticed it rode quite a bit smoother on plain roads/potholes but it shines offroad. Biggest thing I noticed was being able to hit bumps and holes at 40-50 mph and not feel like my rig was going to rattle apart. At the dunes when I went I was going 50mph over rough choppy dunes and it felt pretty damn smooth and controlled. Nothing I ever had with leaves.

Also I like to push my rig hard sometimes and I wanted to be able to drop the hammer without issues or wheelhop .

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is what i noticed as well. although, i really enjoyed how light the YJ was and wheel hop could have a benefit if done right. There was a reason why I called my YJ a billy goat. :)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Actually kinda sad I'm not gunna have the 4 popper anymore:( good little motors, perfect for crawling
I love how low I can lug mine. Seems like in low gear it is pretty damn hard to stall it. I also enjoy just dropping the hammer and not worrying about breaking. Still looking forward to a 5.3 though :smokin::laughing:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So how do you like the jjs vs the heims? Also curious if your rear bilsteins are 14" travel?
I'm not running jjs. I have a pair of metal cloak duroflex joints in the rear lowers axle side. I got them for a good price. I am happy with them. Don't seem to limit flex at all, and they are self centering.

Yes. 14in bilstiens in rear

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Hey man, great looking rig. Some more questions on your rear coils.

I'm wanting to do the same budget 4-link on mine. Just happened to come across yours. Good info. Did you weld your coils into the buckets or use big welded retainers? Any issues with them popping out?

How do you like the 14" shocks?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey man, great looking rig. Some more questions on your rear coils.

I'm wanting to do the same budget 4-link on mine. Just happened to come across yours. Good info. Did you weld your coils into the buckets or use big welded retainers? Any issues with them popping out?

How do you like the 14" shocks?
I went super cheap with my retainers. I got a 2in peice of .095 tube I had that I cut off of a driveshaft. I cut it into 4 peices. I wanna say 1in wide. Welded those to the inside of my coil buckets in the center to keep the coils in place. Then I took a 1/2in bolt and welded it into the center. Used a peice of 1.5x.250 strap cut at 3 1/2 inches and drilled a hole in the center and then a nut to hold it down tight on the 2in tube.

So basically my coils are captured but can move 1/8 in or so at full droop. I have had no issues with it so far, and I love that my rear end doesnt go all nutso when I get weight transfer. it is very predictable.

I like the 14s. I wanted 16s. I know i could use the extra travel, but as of now I am happy with how they perform and the amount of travel that I have.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any closer pics of your rear coils and buckets?

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
:beer: Thanks man, appreciate it. I'm planning on doing a similar lift.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Snow Wheelin. Discovered a creek, almost got tugged into a culvert pipe ditch, and did donuts.

Also my kids first time in the snow. He is 4.

Love that stance :smokin:

41 - 60 of 178 Posts