Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
It seems been a blast. Well up until it broke.

Yeah I think I'm gonna stay out of that spot from now on. I do need my revenge on waterfall next weekend though
I've only seen 2 rigs get through unscathed. 1 was a funky 4 door yj on like 48" military tires, I think his tires were big and hard enough to not get stuck on the undercut side :laughing:

The other was my buddies pos Toyota with huge door bars and stock width Toyota axles, I think the door bars just acted like skis :laughing:

My other buddy broke both front axles at the very beginning. Not really a good spot.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I've only seen 2 rigs get through unscathed. 1 was a funky 4 door yj on like 48" military tires, I think his tires were big and hard enough to not get stuck on the undercut side :laughing:

The other was my buddies pos Toyota with huge door bars and stock width Toyota axles, I think the door bars just acted like skis :laughing:

My other buddy broke both front axles at the very beginning. Not really a good spot.
Yep. The guy that went right before me blew up his t case. But of course I had to try it

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Old trans out. As you can see it was really hosed. My whole shop smells like burnt atf now

New unknown trans is in, just need to finish up hopefully today and then see if it works.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Old trans out. As you can see it was really hosed. My whole shop smells like burnt atf now

New unknown trans is in, just need to finish up hopefully today and then see if it works.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
Super fun weekend. Buggy did awesome. Had some trans issues at extreme angles fri night, added another 1.5qt and it solved them. Gave a bunch of people rides and had a blast. Did some high speed desert stuff and got up to 88mph (great Scott). Blew my front r&p sat night due to copious amounts of right foot.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Really cool, simple build!

Hows the gearing with the 205? What gears in the axles?
Its not as bad as I thought it would be. Super technical stuff where a tire is bound up the trans doesnt want to work. But that could just be the stock trans and converter. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted with it setup like this.

I have 5.13s

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Its not as bad as I thought it would be. Super technical stuff where a tire is bound up the trans doesnt want to work. But that could just be the stock trans and converter. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted with it setup like this.

I have 5.13s
That's good to hear. I have the exact same drivetrain I'm getting ready to put in a buggy but I'm a little worried it won't be geared low enough. I do have a 2500 stall converter though that I'm hoping will help.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
That's good to hear. I have the exact same drivetrain I'm getting ready to put in a buggy but I'm a little worried it won't be geared low enough. I do have a 2500 stall converter though that I'm hoping will help.
I had a 2200 or 2400 stall before. One of those. Did the same thing and blew my trans on mothers day. Could have been the trans or the converter generating heat, not really sure.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts