Pirate 4x4 banner

281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Damn that sounds awesome! Can't wait for the detailed update.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Day 1!

We rolled out of Lebanon around 8am ish. Hit the highway north.

About an hour in, the high pressure line going from the hydroboost pump to the hydroboost unit on the jeep backed off and vomited a bunch of ATF.

While he was tightening that back down and filling the res again, we had pulled off at the next exit. I was giving everything a once over because it was smelling a little more like gear oil than normal. I found a pretty strong leak coming from my 205, turns out when re-installing the tcase I must have over lifted it and snapped off the push connect fitting for the sight tube that lives ontop of the tcase. Luckily we were near a hardware store so I was able to grab a NPT plug and a bolt/hose clamp to seal everything back up so we could keep on our way. We had lost about a quart of fluid from the 205, so we topped that off before rolling out.

Topping off the 205 through the breather takes a while

From there we had a mostly uneventful drive the rest of the way north.

We stopped once in twin mountain to try and plug up some holes in the firewall that were blasting us with hot air, and the jeep had lost the stereo to some wiring gremlins.

stopped for lunch somewhere in ME and to top off the fuel in the jeep, but other than that we had a nice ride up to Jackman ME. We stopped at Bishops Store, bought our passes to enter the NMW property, as well as filled up gas. The sign at bishops reads "Last gas in the US" Which was cool. It was flat out thunder storm at this point so there aren't any fun pictures of this

We drove from Bishops Store, to the Kelly Dam Electronic gate, which is the furthest South West entrance in the US.

Little hut you roll up to, pick up the phone, which radios to the HQ. You have to read them your papers, they check you and your vehicles out remotely using CCTV cameras. And give you the green light to pass into the property.

We continued north to a campsite called Ice Box Pit, which turns out to litterly be in a pit off a cove on Penobscot Lake.

It was pouring and dark, but we managed to get a cool picture of the cove at dusk.

And we got camp setup just as the next band of rain came through.

We made steaks and mashed potatoes for dinner, and washed them down with some headytoppers before turning in for bed after a long day of driving.

Day1 - Lebanon to Ice Box Pit Campsite - 260mi

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Day 2!

Camp in the daylight!

We made steak and eggs for breakfast before breaking camp.

We rolled north out of the campsite and hit a washed out culvert. I think this would have been the best point for us to learn that if the road is VERY out, you should probably assume it's going to get worse ahead, and that's why no one has maintained it. But this was all part of the learning :grinpimp:

naturally we looked at this and said, no problem! lets go for it.

All Accross! No real problems aside from having to hoof the gas and water across the washout because the departure angle was needed hahahaha

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Day 2 - Continued

We continued north for a while, eventually running across a section of road that was completely underwater. Anywhere from 20-35" deep. Made it through without any issues.

Shortly after the road firmed back up, we came across a river crossing where the bridge had gone completely out, and there was a near vertical 30' drop to even get down to the water. Apparently we forgot to take photos of it, but we decided at this point to turn around and backtrack today's track, and some of the day 1 route to get back to a more "main" route and look for a different way around on more well worn roads to avoid burning all our daylight up and having to setup camp in the dark again.

We spent the rest of the day cruising beautiful two track backcountry roads using the paper NMW maps and delorme to get ourselves to the planned stopping point for the night.

We ran across all sorts of wildlife, this was the first Moose of the trip, we even managed to get a quick (blurry) picture of it! Through day 2 we also saw a black bear and a few deer.

For Day two we ended up setting up at campsite that was 30 miles short of the intended location, We posted up at the Caucomogmoc Dam Campsite, as it was getting late and we wanted to setup in the daylight. It had been thunderstorms all day and everything was wet. Scavenging wood for a fire, and setting up camp was going to be much more pleasant in the daylight. Also we decided that stopping at campsites with moving water was vastly superior to ponds or lakes. Being able to "Shower" or collect water for filtering and boiling is much easier when there's swiftly moving water. After two days of driving Showers were most welcome additions to the schedule.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #286 (Edited)
Day 2 - Continued

Checking out the dam

Replenishing water for the next day. We run through a filter, into a large pot, this lets us bulk process water at almost 5 gal a pass.

Making dinner

The Rain broke for long enough to eat dinner around the fire. Dinner was veggies and Burgers, washed down with focalbangers!

Bedtime came fairly early. Because we were 30 miles behind schedule we needed to roll out of the campsite around 0400 and drive straight through to the Telos checkpoint to try and meet up with the rest of our group that was meeting us on Day 3 at 0600.

Day2 - Ice Box Pit Campsite to Caucomogmoc Dam Campsite - 65mi

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Man this is some serious overlanding. It sounds like a lot of fun, frankly.

Can't wait to see the future updates!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Man this is some serious overlanding. It sounds like a lot of fun, frankly.
These kind of trips are awesome, we were talking about it a bit while we were on this trip.

It's a similar level of difficulty, and has the same feeling of exploring, and finding new trails that got us hooked in stockish rigs so many years ago. With the added shenanigans of being completely unsupported, and in these built vehicles that we also beat on reds and blacks when we go to parks :smokin:

We're talking about getting back to doing one of these trips every year. Maybe I'll convince you to drive out and join us :D

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Hey, if year after year I keep not making UA (Admittedly, I didn't apply this year due to the wedding), I'd be down for it. Maine isn't any further from me than Moab! :flipoff2:

Next year, we're actually planning on hitting up Windrock Park (Fall 2020 sometime) for a solid week if you'd like to join. There's hundreds of miles of trails (probably 50-80 miles of black and red trails) spread over 72,000 acres so there's enough wheeling for a week. Just throwing it out there! As it's surrounded by towns, it's less off-grid than what you guys just did, though.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Doing a trip like that is one of the reasons I push away from using a trailer. Looks like a blast.
So good! I've kept the truck road-going so I can do everything from teaching 101's, Throwing down 1000's of miles a month, and hitting reds at parks. Also I have a theory that road-going trucks get maintained better than trailered rigs. :grinpimp:

we're actually planning on hitting up Windrock Park (Fall 2020 sometime) for a solid week if you'd like to join.
Sign me up, I'm all about adding more trips to the calendar :smokin:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Day3

Woke up at 0300 and broke camp in the pouring rain, made coffee on the whisperlite and made haste for telos. The mileage to the checkpoint where we were meeting up with the other group was half of the 65 miles we put down on day 2. :p

Crusing through dark and twilight. We were aimed at some main artery roads that the trucks use as highways to help make up some time.

Sunrise over a clearing on the way

Made it to the telos checkpoint a little early, so we decided to setup on a pull off and cook breakfast to fuel the rest of our day. Breakfast was most welcome after 3 hours of fairly flat out driving.

We met up with the other group at the Telos checkpoint, adding two H3's and a JK to our overland caravan.

Telos checkpoint office

Hiding just over the checkpoint line getting ready to roll out

Turns out the other group we were meeting up for had a similar thrash to get to us, and they hadn't had breakfast yet. So we hung out in a clearing right inside the checkpoint and they made breakfast and got ready to roll out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Day 3 - Continued

After second breakfast we rolled out headed towards the trains.

We made great time over the dirt highways, which ended up putting us back on schedule for the day, which was pretty slick. We arrived at the trains right at about 11ish and started the hike in.

The first 3/4 of the hike is a normal trail, following a well worn path. When you get to these signs things start turning cool. You're picking up old rail at this point and following it into the distance. It's super weird to see train tracks a hundred miles from anywhere.

Following the rails

Eventually it opens up into a well maintained clearing, and there's two locomotives just chillin' in the middle of it. Abandoned long ago, but kept in amazing condition.

There's also remnants of the old tramway cars that used to carry the logs the 3000 feet between two lakes so they could be log driven down to processing facilities.

The whole group chillin on a locomotive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Day3 - Continued

We Hiked back out and started driving north in search of a campsite on a river to setup on.

We explored some roads that ended up being dead ends, and re-routed using paper maps. It's always fun to have to go back to the maps and come up with a new plan.

As we got Up towards the border, there was this huge bridge over a river that we got to drive over. Pretty crazy to not have sides on something that's ~70ft tall, I'm glad I slowed down for that one. hahaha

We pushed on for a while longer, and came across a section of the road that had been flooded out.I drove most of it, but towards the middle I ended up with water over my tires, which didn't bode well for the next biggest tire being a 38, and the other three having 37's and 35's. So we decided to turn around and find a different way around this blocked road.

We ended up at a campsite on the st john's river, that was called Long Rapids Campsite. What a cool spot! Right on the banks of the river, had a shelter over the picnic table and even an outhouse! Super cool.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Day3 Continued

View around camp, and a photo someone took of google maps looking lost

We setup camp, and turned in fairly early. It was a looooong day of driving for everyone.

PS forgot to jam this in an earlier post

thankfully the only excietment of the trip while in th NMW! This truck got fresh leaf packs before the trip, and the ubolts loosened up enough to allow weird vibrations from the driveshaft, and contact with the skid plates on decel. We were able to tighten the ubolts, and snug up the skid plate bolts and continue on our way. Thankfully an easy fix.

Day3 - Caucomogmoc Dam Campsite to Long Rapids Campsite - 158mi :smokin:

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Also I have a theory that road-going trucks get maintained better than trailered rigs. :grinpimp:
You're not the only one. It seems like the only people who show up consistently to wheeling trips are the ones who also street-drive their rigs.

Sign me up, I'm all about adding more trips to the calendar :smokin:
Add it! Dates TBD haha. Will be awesome to wheel with ya!

thankfully the only excietment of the trip while in th NMW! This truck got fresh leaf packs before the trip, and the ubolts loosened up enough to allow weird vibrations from the driveshaft, and contact with the skid plates on decel. We were able to tighten the ubolts, and snug up the skid plate bolts and continue on our way. Thankfully an easy fix.
Gotta love quick fixes for scary sounds like that haha. Could have gotten way worse had you let it continue on.

Day 4 coming soon? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I enjoy builds and updates from the street driven stuff a lot.
Mine and my brothers get driven everywhere too.
Adds some stress at times for sure but also very satisfying at the same time.

Whole different mindset and planning when you know you've got to drive home.

Looks like an awesome trip

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Day 4

We pretty much just milled about the long rapids campsite, I found a gravel pit not too far from the campsite that we did some shooting at. We headed back to the campsite and cooked up some steaks for dinner. Nice relaxing day by the river.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Day 5 we woke up and packed up camp, destined for pavement.

Because we chose to stay at the long rapids campsite the night before instead of heading further north, we had 30 miles of NMW to conquer before we hit pavement for the 10 hour drive home. Made for a long day!

281 - 300 of 303 Posts