Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My engine light is on because of the code # P0401, I took the EGR valve and cleaned it with carb cleaner, did not do much, Where do the temp sensor and the big EGR modulator live? And how do I clean them? Darn I got to get this figured out, I cleared the engine light off and it came back on again with the same code. It drives me crazy to have the engine light on.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In case it's any help to you:

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/80_trouble_codes/

That's from the '94 manual, when you could jumper two positions in the test terminal and get codes. I think '96 requires an OBD-II code reader, but I'm not sure. And you probably already know that since you've got the code.

Sorry, don't have more to offer.

Morgan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Go to www.IH8Mud.com and search the 80s section. There is a lot of info there on this problem. It is probably your Vacuum Switching Valve that lives between the upper and lower intake manifold plenumns. There have been folks that have had the problem turn out to be the modulator or the temp sender, but not many. There are a few of us that have figured the programming is just too sensitive and it can't be fixed perminantly.
My light has been on for 2 years. Passes emmisions just fine and runs great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts