Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 96 PSD, manual. It idles funny sometimes. Normally it's real smooth but occasionally it'll start this uneven idle. It's enough to rock the truck back and forth a little. Doesn't sound like a miss, it comes and goes.
Sweat it or forget it?

·
Registered
947 Posts
What are the conditions....cold, mornings? etc... also, what type of oil do you run in it? Supousivly you are only supposed to use the special ford powerstroke oil becuse of the HUEI injectors and other types of oil could cause foaming in the high preasure oil system for the injectors, which in theory could make your idleing problems as mentioned.

Justin

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Sounds like it is trying to miss?

Search www.thedieselstop.com for "cackle". It's a common problem. Go to the downloads section to hear a sound clip of it to make sure that is what it is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. No, that cackle clip does not sound like this truck as the idle speed in the clip remains steady. This one fluctuates rpm by maybe +- 50 or so, enough to rock the truck slightly. The oil is changed routinely, the fluctuation happens whether hot or cold, and the truck runs fine otherwise.
Maybe I'll go ask over there. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Slagburn said:
Hmm. No, that cackle clip does not sound like this truck as the idle speed in the clip remains steady. This one fluctuates rpm by maybe +- 50 or so, enough to rock the truck slightly. The oil is changed routinely, the fluctuation happens whether hot or cold, and the truck runs fine otherwise.
Maybe I'll go ask over there. Thanks!
Injector O rings?:confused:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
FYRMAN said:
Sounds like it is trying to miss?

Search www.thedieselstop.com for "cackle". It's a common problem. Go to the downloads section to hear a sound clip of it to make sure that is what it is.
Cackle isn't an issue on '97 and older PSD's. They don't have the same injector system (splitshot) as the '99s and up.

Jon it sounds to me like the cam position sensor may be on its way out. Mine did the exact same thing before it slowly died. It's a fairly common item to go out on the '97 and olders. I wouldn't sweat it unless the engine starts to intermittently die. If it does start that try to look quickly at the tach when it does die. If the needle drops immediately and then picks back up as the engine refires you have a bad CPS. A new CPS at International is about 1/2 the price as the Ford dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts