Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I'm gonna start with the fuel filter, been several years since I changed that. When I fired it up this morning I was still asleep so I didn't look to see if the gage shows if the alternator was charging..:shaking:

If it's just the fuel filter it should only take five to ten hours. Did I mention my wife's Jeep hates me...:laughing:

If it's the pump it will be several days and I will have to re-due everything two to three times...:p

·
Registered
224 Posts
Highly unlikely fuel related. But the fuel filter is a good maintenance item that should be changed.

Sounds to me like you have an idle air control valve problem, or vacuum leak.

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Highly unlikely fuel related. But the fuel filter is a good maintenance item that should be changed.

Sounds to me like you have an idle air control valve problem, or vacuum leak.
Gonna throw one of these at it.

Before doing anything I started it and it ran fine. This morning it was cold 50 degrees, ya that's cold here :flipoff2:. Now it's about 80 and it runs and idles.

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, only code it threw before was 12 "Memory standby power lost"

Now after replacing the Idle control valve it throws a 24 "Throttle position circuit out of range". And when driving wont shift correctly shifts late and wont hit 4th gear.

The voltage gage shows 14 plus so the alternator is charging.

According to the troubleshooting directions I need to put a drive cycle on it? I do that in the morning..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Code 12 means the battery was disconnected within 255 starts ago. No big deal, except that if your throtle body is dirty, and your PCM has lost it's learned Idle Air Control (IAC) steps value because of the battery disconnect/dead issue, the engine often won't get enough air to idle. My suggestion is to clean the throttle body bore and blade with some carb spray and an old toothbrush. This is a normal 15K mile maintenance procedure anyways. If it's never been cleaned, you will be amazed at the crap gumming up the blade where it seats to the bore! Cleaning it allows the normal air flow around the blade, that the base memory IAC steps are set for.

The code 24 is for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Most likely, your TPS is defective. It is a very common failure part, especially if it gets wet. Check the wiring to it to make sure a rodent hasn't chewed the wiring, if it's OK, replace the TPS. It is one of the main inputs to the trans and engine controllers.

The fuel filter and pump won't be the cause if it runs when you keep your foot on the gas. These would more likely show up as a sag or loss of power under heavy load or accelleration, when they are first starting to plug up or fail.

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:emb:

Well, went to take the throttle body out to clean it and replace the TPS....

And the TPS was disconected..:shaking:
The retaining clip was broken so I assume I unplugged it on accident when I replaced the Idle air control valve....:homer:

Well, cleaned the throttle body, and ya that was dirty. Also replaced all my battery cables with 2 gauge, body grounds with 4 gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts