Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT WOULD YOU DO? To gain/squeeze/peel more power ?

What I got is a 97 F-250 has 126 + thousand miles on it.(no smoke and no oil being used)
it's starting to feel a lil slugish. What "cheep"<-- relative term. bolt on's (NOT strap -on's):flipoff2: would you suggest for more power?

Have you found that a Flowmaster and K&N really do give your rig some extra punch? or perhaps a new chip? headers?

Helpfull info appreciated.

all others :flipoff2: :D

Big_Joe

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well it isnt easy, but if you found a set of pre 1988ish heads, and bolted them on, you would definetly add alot of power.
I know the ports are very small compared to the pre 88 (think its 88).

As far as bolt on, yeah I spose the headers and k/n will help, but the heads will make an unreal differance. Especially if you mill them .030", but hey it does have over 120K so maybe drive it till its dead, then rebuild it :D

Good luck

And by the way, There is no "Cheap" was that I know off, to add real power :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This is not meant to come across as a smart ass.

Have you done the basics of new plugs, wires, cap and rotor? New fuel filter and air filter.

The Flowmaster without headers and a Hi-flow Catylitic convertor will do nothing for perfomance. The K&N air filter will help a little, but don't expect anything dramatic.

Do a leak-down test and compression test. the leak-down will tell you where (valves or rings) the engine is getting tired. Just 'cause it doesn't smoke or burn oil does not mean it is not wore out. Been there, seen that.

Eric

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ugh. I have tried to create more power in motors cheaply for years.... And I was always dissapointed.

I found the only way to get more "real' power out of the machine was to pay a visit to the machine shop...

Adam

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is your truck a Manual or Auto Tranny?

If it is a Manual tranny, I could really use some information that is listed on your truck.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
get some JBA headers, or Doug Thorey.
straight pipes after the cats, B&K throttle body and a K&N FIPK

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 1996 f-250 460. I found the best money spent on mine so far was switching out the 3.5 to1 rearend to 4.11s. the k&n helped some, new wires cap/rotor, plugs, semi-synthetic motor also helped alittle. just my .06 :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get an adjustable double roller timing chain and correct the factory retarded valve timing. The post '72 motors have the valve timing retarded 3 degrees. This is a big mod over on the ford truck enthusiasts web site. Your timing chain is probably stretched pretty good by now anyways.

Another trick is to remove the air horns in the intake that throttle the flow down....this helped a lot on my truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts