Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Ford E350 V10 6.8L with an E4OD that I want to swap out/replace with a 4R100 from a 2000 F250 V10 gasser. I understand they are very similar cases and should swap.

Long Story; When I converted my van to 4x4 using 2006 F250 Axles I also installed a NP271 TC. The E4OD 4x4 adapter nor the TC has a VSS so I lost that and all attempts to use the signal coming from the rear diff speed sensor that drives the ABS have failed (yes I know i had to convert it for transmission use). I have a few choices, such as install a BW1356, but am specifically interested in the 4r100 conversion since I was planning to "build up" my tranny anyways. I also understand that I will still have to convert the signal coming from the 4R100 as it is pulse and the ECM, I believe, is looking for AC/sinewave.

So back to my question; is the 4R100 a bolt in replacement of the existing e4od to the 97 V10 6.8L?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

It would seem that this is an easy question - and would actually help others. I have read of e4od rebuilds that take the best of both e4od and 4r100 parts but no clarification on what exactly or whether the 4r100 outer case is used. I understand that the 4r100 is a rebranding of the e40d with minor upgrades but it would be nice to know whether I can, with modification, replace the e40d with a 4r100.

And while some might say why or recommend alternatives given the amt of work or money, my objective is to keep it as simple as possible AND get back a dedicated VSS, regardless of the fact that its a pulse VSS in the 4r100.

Regardless - your input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
bolt in deal.

the wiring train wreck grows distant now. i actually use gm shit in my ford these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
finally updating...

no the 4r100 is not a bolt in replacement for the e40d even though it will..uh bolt right in (lots of posts about this)

my setup is a 97 2wd e40d converted to 4wd using a 4r100 tail housing and tail shaft (rear main shaft) with tone ring.

my issue turned out to be the transmission slipping. When I converted the tranny to 4x4 I did not have it rebuilt as it was working fine beforehand.

The transmission may be converted to use the output shaft from an e40d which has no tone ring or from a 4r100 which does have a tone ring but you must also use the correct tail housing.

I believe you may also splice into the signal coming off the rear differential. While I did do that it was before I had the tranny rebuilt but I think it will work.

The DD is great because it’s digital with numerous ratios. I bought both the DD and the other one (can’t remember name ( ujoint off-road recommends this one) and it uses pins to set the conversion ratio. It works too (no problems) but there are far fewer ratio conversions. I think you can get a closer actual speed with the DD especially with oversized tires etc.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts