Pirate 4x4 banner

'97 f150 on rocks, supercharged build!

80K views 78 replies 27 participants last post by  fzl 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd start a build thread, and have a place to ask questions for when I can't find the answer I'm looking for searching.

Stock got it in '02... 4.6, e-fans, Cold air intake

put a bodylift on a few months after getting it, and a year later i made a BGT out of it.

dana 60 front and rear 5.38 gears with a spool in the rear, 49's on 16.5x16

Put it in some deep stuff and it was a bitch wouldn't creep over 1'700rpms :mad3:

See less See more
#39 ·
I went back to east Texas, last weekend and got my truck moved down to the barn. My friend ended up moving, so I had to bring the truck back home, (couldn't junk his place up anymore).

It surprisingly ran pretty smooth all the way here.

Still need to clean it up alittle, but I took off the a-arms and steering bracket off.

After keeping belle long enough from the water, I figured I'd take her down to the pond.

BELLE. play dead! :laughing:

So I headed down to the pond in the G-ride, but we were stopped in our tracks. So we had to take a detour.

After I got to the pond, I climbed the trolly tower to check it out and as I figured... Low, thses last couple of days have had to help.

Got the 53's up off the ground, to take to get unmounted.... Damn these things are Heavy bastards.

#40 ·
Called up Danial at USA6x6 and he had these overnited to me, greatest CS hands down :shaking:

only kidding got them used, thanks Chestonscout

Now on a serious note, 2 weeks ago when I was Back home I took the usual cruise I do in the Bad 429

When all of the sudden it looks like a witch is flapping around my driver front.
Makes me sick...

What it use to look like

Since it happened I lost the chrome stripe and 429 emblem. But I've started to take the fender off the parts car. Thankfully it had the fender trim and front side marker light

I had 2 clips break from so much rust, and thats going to be a pain in the ass to get, but thats another day.

finally got around to finishing glassing my rollpan, still need to sand it a good bit. Took about 2" off bothsides, for a little dovetail action.

#41 ·
cool build. Only thing I see that maybe a problem is the np205 yokes. With a fair amount of hp we rip the ears off of the yokes so I just take standard 205 yokes and turn them down to a hub then machine a flat flange to press on and weld so it then uses the deuce driveshaft flange. It's just something to think about regardless of the driveshaft angle since I've watched my buddy break them on a pullin truck with no angle.

#43 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up, when I get 'er together I'll keep it mind. I'm going to see how these 1410's of jess's at H.A.D. works out at first. Then I look into what you said when things start breaking.

hopefully santa will bring you some good shit so you can finish this thing before the new year :flipoff2:
Not hardly I was a bad boy this year, just a stocking full of coal. :mad3:

Guys what divorced case do you think this came out of? HOLY SHIT! I dropped off some nuts and bolts to an account today and this was on a pallet when I walked by.

#44 ·
They haven't been shipped yet, but a Lightning brother in NC has mad some cogs for himself and a few extra to sell in doing so, we've be reverse engineering some from my set and the help of a few others. Heres the final picture, after he had them, then back to lighten them up, now he just finished getting them Balanced and anodized. He really went above and beyond

Anyways enough talk, left is the 103t and the right is the Boost Freak Cog 120t

Belle acting like a Beaver

Back when I built it in HS it was a Mall Crawler and I had a cut through with 8-10's, so I opened it up some more to close it up with some aluminum diamond plate. Figured it work good for ease of access. Also did the driver and passenger floor boards. Same reasons, dropped a few lbs in the process

cheapest/lightest way to achieve this was to use an old toolbox I already had not being used in the barn.

I've decided to only run the fenders and inner liners and ditch the front all together. trying to keep the nose as light as possible on her. The liner will also keep spalsh down in the engine area. Also planning on putting the wiring harness and fuse/relay box under the dash. ideas to keep it out of the elements.

Cleaned up the rear fenders, getting it ready for paint so it can go back together. plan to make mounts for the bedsides to bolt to and use a bedliner to keep mud off the radiator, battery and 20gal. cell.

#47 ·
It wasn't the greatest, I'd say 8-9 if I kept my foot out of it. Most of the time i hammered down everywhere I went. I'd say 4-6 in town. One time I was right outside of Houston on I-45 heading to Galveston and I was running 84 for a few miles and watched the gas guage steadily drop. Maybe a 2 or 1-1 ratio. made me cry... I motor'd out at 84mph thats all she would ever give me on the 49's.

Vids in the mud??? Naw Sr. in HS and being '03 it was a little before all this new fancy technology, so to answer your question No I don't. Most all the times I put it in mud was on a whim.

Im glad the wheels are going to such a cool project!

I cant wait to see it DONE!

Thanks and thanks again for working with me on them... I'm pretty stoked on getting my junk together too. I just keep finding things that won't be up to the task, or need attention to make the build right.

Getting ready to assemble the drivetrain

* Volant C.A.I & outer ware (most sealed system)
* SCT2600 MAF
* P&P upper plenum
* accufab SBTB
* T/B spacer for nitrous
* upper plenum to S/C phenolic spacer, better airflow
* P&P S/C, (stock Eaton for reliablity)
* P&P Midplate
* Midplate to lower intake 1/2" spacer, more/cooler aircharge for more timing, better flow
* P&P Lower Intake
* coolant crossover mod -12an
* T.E.A. StgIII Heads
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...MoAzAA&usg=AFQjCNH7U-ZXRKEZE9qcwapna8jUEKX_8w
* +1mm oversized s/s valves and retainers
* Comp 125# springs
* Crower StgII Cams
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGrNpYw2eboL6cSU2_8aDu1lIdtHw
* Pacesetter L/T
* 3" exhaust, Catless, Y'ed into 4" I/O Magnaflow Muffler, 4" dump
* Forged S/B
* 16# cogged as of now, but plan to run 18-20lbs w/ a smaller upper
* LFP StgII rebuild for my 4r100 (not purchased)
* P.I. 24-2600 stall
* Punisher V/B
* 60lb injectors
* Aeromotive rails
* 20 gal. cell with sender
* regulator and pump havent been purchased yet

* No A/C
* No EGR
* No EVAP

Heres a more exact picture of the cogs that will be going on the accessory belt. Thats the quick change 120t next to the 84t lower

And what happens when uncle Timothy watches me... :D Soph, look at all the pretty pictures

#49 ·
No not done, just having fun building it.

I ordered up wilwood rotors for patooyees pinion brakes and I have some superlite calipers that are headed this way.

Tossing the idea back and forth through emails about haveing a braket made, if I want to bolt the on as wheel brakes instead.

I also have trick performance looking into making me a 3" thermostate housing spacer, so I can rotate my waterneck 180* for more of a straight shot to my rear mount radiator. I needed it to clear the fuel rail.

http://trickperformanceproducts.com/

I had a buyer for the lift and front axle so I yanked them and put the truck on the ground for a little bit.

While I was in I did some fishing, and oh holy hell, this wall hanger yanked me off the bank and broke my poll :flipoff2:

#50 ·
I got my tails air brushed

ordered up emblems to kinda fit the role for the truck, now just to paint everything, some orange pinstripping aswell

1.25"x1 RH heims, still need to order the left hand

Tube adaptores

Ive ordered up all s/s socket head cap"allen head" screws for the front and rear axles and np205 so I can keep down on weight and only run 2) 50 cal ammo boxes for tools on the trails. I'm doing the whole truck in them, but the motor and tranny will stay metric, due to ease of finding bolts if im not local.

been talking to Motochris w/ F.O.A. about getting my front coilovers, so those are coming soon...

Rangers won! Headed to the game tomorrow :grinpimp:

#53 ·
Bringing it back up from the dead...

Changed directions with the build guys.

Decided that the 1.8l eaton was ting going to be enough blower to satisfy me and the 2v heads didn't seem to appealing anymore so I picked up a set of 4 valve lincoln navigator heads.

I got rid of my T.E.A. stgIII 2v Romeo heads and got a 6-71 blower.

It's a 6-71 large bore, figured it would be plenty of blower for a small block 331ci motor.

Plans are to adaptor the 6-71 on top of the 5.4 4vlave heads...

#54 ·
Back up.

So the builds changed up a good bit. Life happens and I'm A.D.D. Like crazy so it's gone a different coarse.

I've changed directions from a '02 Lightning drivetrain to a '00 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 4valve with a 6-71 large bore GM blower.

This is the wiring from an '00 Lincoln Navigator, computer and harnesses... Along with the front timing cover and valve covers that are needed.

Cleaned up the valve covers real good and decided to give them a coat of paint.

And paint action

Decided ford GT blue was fitting for them. Also I've decided that the 4 valve heads are going to keep my coils much dryer than what it would have been 2v in the open.

#55 · (Edited)
Painted and front snout put on the blower

#56 ·
Looks like I'm going to get a tubing bender, I was going to let a friend do some tube work for me, but it seems he's too busy, so I guess I'll be getting a JD2 bender in the near future...

I ended up picking up some motor plates for a mod motor

The trans

#57 ·
Figured I'd give you a comparison of a stock Lightning/termi blower, beside a 6-71

A good bit of difference

#58 ·
The stock Lightning/'03-'04 cobra blower is a 1.8L blower some 4 bangers aren't even that big... This 6-71 is pretty damn big!

#59 ·
Figured I should open it up like I'm doing every other part of the build, any thing that can slow airflow was removed and is being ported...

Sooo

Strength ribs had to go

Since this isn't sitting on its side and being used as an exhaust they're not needed for integrity

Also I know this is about the same as taking a shit before a ride, but I dropped a little bit of weight. Lol

And next for the exit side of things

#60 ·
Alright guys, don't grill me too hard, but I tried to accomplish a task that was to large for my small garage and angle grinder. Haha

I need some more tools for the garage.

#61 ·

I'm really in need of a drill press, and on of the next tools, that and a tuning bender are on the to get list...

#62 ·
I gathered up a few brake items for the rig, I'm going to run wheel brakes, and I Have decided to run a pinion brake as a parking brake. If I don't X the idea all together... ( if I push through my wheel brakes, they'll get yanked for my pinion brakes)

Patooyee was grateful enough to cut me some brake adapters to mount rotors to my rear hubs... It's a real Close design to his pinion brake the cuts. He was talking the idea down for the size tire I'm going to run (53's) with the size dia. Rotor I ended up going with 12.19... A 14" rotor would be a better match for the size tire.

Only plus I have working with me, are they are a billet 6 piston caliper to keep down on caliper flex (4 piston superlite) and to have a better bite. The 47 vane make them a heavier rotor, but they'll cool better if I hit them a lot.

Going to safety wire them too

Also got my RH lugs in.

#64 ·
I know pirate isn't much for body lifts, so I'm proud to anounce I'm taking my 3" Performance Accesory BL off, in place of a 2" billet aluminum JC Customs BL

I gave him a few measurements and a picture of my composit puck, and he had mine cut that same night... Pretty cool. I downer is they're a little bit heavier.

So I had him polish it a little and throw his logo on it.

He's got a new CNC machine and is down to work with me on new stuff, so the 4x4 is going to start having Rockwell pieces cut. Starting with this side inspection cover plate. I was messing around in the garage and cut this out of some scrap I had laying around... (Downfall is it's 3/8" thick and heavier/uglier than what he can do)

My ugliness

A little bit of grinder action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.