Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I finally got some good pics and info written up on my swap and wanted to see what you thought. It's not quite finished yet, but should be rolling again soon!

Any advice, questions or concerns....just let it out. Oh, and the yellow wheels....well, lets just say I had a lot of spare time on my hands during the build-up. Plus the wife liked the yellow, so I had to make her happy in some way, since I was spending all my time working on the truck.....hehe!!!!!!

I know I have issues with the radius arm setup (adjustability and flex/twisting), and they will be redone in the near future with johny joints or and RE longarm type setup. This was just a temporary thing so that I could get it on the road again quicker and cheaper.
Here is a link to a write-up with pics. If someone can post pics for me, that would be great until I can get my red star!

http://www.therangerstation.com/yab...=Lifting;action=display;num=1048168503;start=

Dean

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
wow, a work of art! is your wheelbase stock after all that change? are you still bein powered by the 4.0 v6? it looks real good, and ready for the trails, te 38s will make it look better, but one suggestion if it is goin to be a trail only truck, scrap the fender flares, and just cut the fenders out to fit the 38s, the flares will rip off real fast on the trail!

wes

·
Registered
616 Posts
dean- reading the posts from TRS, you mention hitting the tank. have you checked into using the rear mount b2 fuel tank? gain a few gallons also. i got the new polyethelene replacement tank for my lawn ornament for like 180.00 shipped.
just a thought...
shon

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sweet ass. A 3/4 ton Ranger! But why not Ford axles?
wes8517 said:
but one suggestion if it is goin to be a trail only truck, scrap the fender flares, and just cut the fenders out to fit the 38s, the flares will rip off real fast on the trail!

wes
I vote for leaving them. Let the trails take them off for ya :flipoff2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey 4x4junkie,
Thanks for the working link! I missed something with the copy paste!!

Wes8517,
The wheel base is about 2" longer now, because I moved the front axle forward to gain more clearance at the rear of the fender opening, for when I run the bigger tires. Well it still has the stock 3.0L V6 (talk about a hampster under the hood!). Yeah, I am planning on taking off the flares anyways. Just been to busy with other things. There is plenty of room for the 38's, and I doubt I will have to trim anything.

Shon,
Yeah, I have, and still am, considered using a BII tank. But I don't like how far they hang down, and I really don't want to cut a hole in the bed to raise it higher. Besides, fuel cells are cheaper than $180.

Aquaman,
I use what works, and what I can get my hands on.
I wanted lower gearing to compensate for the lack of power/torque that the 3.0L has. It does not have the grunt needed for the type of wheeling I do. That is why I needed a 2nd t-case (Jeep). No major machining needed like doing a dual Ford t-case. Because I wanted the 2nd case, I needed a passenger side front axle (Chevy). The axle was already setup with correct gears, locker and high steer arms. I traded the locker for the rear 60 (Dodge) because I needed the axle more than a locker at the time.
I didn't want the typical EB 44 swap. I wanted something different. Ford doesn't make a passenger side drop front axle, and doesn't have a divorced t-case. Most of Ford's drivetrains are a pile of other manufacturer's parts anyways - Dana, Spicer, Borg Warner, Mazda.
I'd swap in a Chevy 4.3L V6 if I had the money too. Better than the 4.0 and you can bolt on almost any tranny. Can't do that with Fords cheaply. I don't mean to bash Ford, but there are areas that need help.

Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts