Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK-i've searched an I cannot get the right number for a stock 97 TJ in-tank sending unit for my autometer gauge purchase. Need to know the empty/full ohm ratings.

Thanks!
:D

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
its a real wacky one i dont think it matches the standard autometer. ill dig though my stuff see where i wrote it down. its def. not the 0-90 it was something like 230 or something like that.... post up the different ranges and i can probably pick it out.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The choices I have are as follows:

0-90
73-12
240-33

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
yeah the last one is the closest to what the actual sender is. ill dig my info out when i get home on the actual published number from jeep but thats it.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
yeah thats right its not the exact numbers but about all you can do without putting in a different sender.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Dust Puppy said:
yeah thats right its not the exact numbers but about all you can do without putting in a different sender.
Or build a converter box? I have no idea how but I think it would be easy...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just happened to have this written down on a post it next to my computer. I was gonna toss the post it the other day, but decided I might need it again one day, then I would probably never find the numbers again:

20 ohms - full
220 ohms - empty.

Fuel level signal wire goes through the PCM it should be C-26 a gray wire. (I also have dark blue/light green written down as the other wire?)

FWIW, I have a custom buillt tank in my TJ and when I fill it up, the gauge reads 1/4 tank....then it slowly climbs to full at around 75 mile mark, then it reads correctly to empty. Don't ask me why it does this, but since it is accurate when it gets low, I don't complain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1997 jeep wrangler fuel gage fix

WOW, I have a 1997 jeep wrangler sport and the dealer replaced fuel sending unit AND computer. Afterwards, I measured ohms of sending unit= 40 ohms when full of fuel, which causes gage to read way above full and never goes below 3/4, which I ran out of gas, thankfully I had a gas can with me..anyways I took a decade resistor box and connected it to PCM pin A4 and C26 and dialed in ohm to see what computer thought should be the correct ohmage to give the proper gage reading- I got 1 Kohm for empty and 80 ohm for full reading. SO I guess folks the best thing for me (because it took a year for dealer to get this "ha ha fixed") is to put a trim pot (variable resistor) in series with sending unit and adjust for proper reading. Hope this helps others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts