Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping the pan to replace my rear main seal. I've searched rear main seal, on jeep and newbie, as well as reading off of random hits on other sites. My question seems rediculously simple, yet I can't find anything re: even in the manual. Which of course is probably cause for retardation. I have the pan dropped, and removed the pump/pickup tube. It won't maneuver out from between the block, tranny, and exhaust as it exits the head and wraps around the pan. Is it possible that I have an exhaust that's modified past the point of being able to remove the pan? I've also seen other 4.0's have a two piece bell housing cover, mines one, but it doesn't seem like it would give it that much leeway anyway. I do have a lift, but it hasn't even gotten to the point of running into anything other than the exhaust, which is like whit on rice around the pan. Thanks

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
yep on the rear main seal...maybe he meant pan seal. also yep on the exhaust; you might not have to pull it completely but at least loosen it up. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so very much. None of the write ups include this crucial step, which is totally obvious, but I didn't want to do something I didn't have to. Again, thanks, just making sure I hadn't overlooked anything, I'll disconnect at the header, should give it enough space to drop out. From what I've read you shouldn't have to remove the crank, it's a two piece seal, the top "slides out" from around the top of the crank. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
Lowball said:
correct me if im wrong but changing the rear main seal requires taking out the crank
:confused:
Yup, you're wrong. Jeep 4.0l I6 engines have a 2 piece rear main seal. You do need to loosen the crank a bit, but it doesn't come out. You just have to take the pressure off the top half of the seal.

I don't know about the exhaust issues on a TJ. On an XJ, the header/manifold doesn't have to be pulled.

Treepolice, have you pulled the starter?

ChiXJeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey TJ fan, Thanks for the input, btw if you own/work for mad 4wd, that slip yoke eliminator, 8.8 bracket kit, and arb work awesome, it hooked up real nice. You've been a great help, let me know if you come to moab, I'll buy you a beer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chixjeff, yes i pulled the starter, thanks- once i drop the exhaust i should be good to go, i have seen alot on using a brass punch to pop it out, in my research i saw were a guy used a chopstick, thought that would be an interesting alternative, considering i can't find a brass punch within an hours drive of here. even the local napa doesn't have one. i'll let everyone know how the chop stick works. go figure i have a chopstick but not a brass punch:rolleyes:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hey TJ fan, Thanks for the input, btw if you own/work for mad 4wd, that slip yoke eliminator, 8.8 bracket kit, and arb work awesome, it hooked up real nice. You've been a great help, let me know if you come to moab, I'll buy you a beer.

Yep..thats us :D If you need any specs or help, give us a call.
Glad to hear about another satisfied customer.

Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts