Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is the deal.
I was driving my TJ from work and my check eng light comes on and I hear a ding. I looked down and my batt meeter is peged out at 19 volts. At first I think the jeep voltage regulator took a crap. I pull over shut it down and restart it. All is back to the normal 14v. I do a few things and jump back in and start it up and all is well. About 2 minutes in to the trip it pegs out again.
I shut it off re start is it is back to normal. So far it has done it 3 times. I am going to bring my volt meeter with me from now on to see if it is actually putting out 19+v.
I did some looking in to the jeep voltage regulator and I found out that it is part of the computer. AHHHH! :mad3:
Is it possible that it could be a bad bat doing this? I have not had any indication of my batt going bad but it was just a thaught. Is it possible that the computer saw the bat taking a dive and tryed to compensate for that or should I start looking for a new computer for my jeep?

How hard a computer swap? I am a Aircraft mech so I know my way around tools.

Mt hunter

oh yea I checked my code by the key turning trick and all I got was a code 12 and the normal 55 for end of test

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct just the code 12 and 55

any idea's anyone?

I have looked all over the internet and have only found a few threads with this problem. and non of them posted the fix that they found

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just had this problem driving home just now.
beats the hell outa me, but i did pull the winch cables off of it and it hasnt done it yet, but i dont think that would do anything

·
Registered
391 Posts
mthunter said:
How hard a computer swap? I am a Aircraft mech so I know my way around tools.
I'm sorry that I can't offer advice concerning diagnostics on this one, but, swapping in a computer is a cake-walk. Just sucks having to spend the money on them.

I would would be curious to see if it is actually pegging out at 19 volts when this is occuring. I would bring that voltmeter along in case you get the opportunity to check it when it occurs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i was checken out mine, and on 2000's the voltage regulator is actually in the alternator and the computer tells the alternator how much it needs. Meaning it could be a sign that the alternator is going bad.
or the gauge could just be in a crapshoot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think but not sure i will check tomorrow but your alternators wiring is controlled by the computer. And it is a A circuit regulator meaning the computer controls how much power goes to ground though the field. Common problem is the wire going from the alternator to the computer rubs through and goes to ground. Cant test for it as it is a controlled ground, so inspect the wire closely for possible cracks or rub thrus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts