Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few qs.

Background, I have a spare SYEd 97 231 case I want to put in a 92yj so I can take the 231 out of the 92yj into my 87 xj. the xjs are both 4.0 autos and the YJ is a 4.0 5spd. The reason I want to do this is to get the 4to1 kit from the YJ and the SYE. I realize I may have input shaft length issues, but since tera was not able to give me a definate answer, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

1. Can I just pull out the electronic speed sensor in the 92 yj case and bolt in my cable in my 87 xj? both the 92 and 97 cases have 3 prong speed sensors so I assume that will be a direct swap.

2. how to hook up the vac disco D30 in the yj? the yj has the vacuum tree on the front half of the case on top. were the 97 case has a 2 prong electrical connector. for the 92 case into the 87 its a non issue since I manually control the front disco.

My ideas of fixing problem #2

1. if for some stroke of pure luck I could just unscrew the sensor and install the vacuum tree without dissasembling the case and or disturbing the planetaries.

2. use the electical input from the 97 case to control the vac disco via some fuel tank selectors (how I have my vac disco rigged) Costs about $50

3. dissasemble cases and swap some parts. if they swap? would this disturb the planataries?

4. on the 97 case there is a big 3/4 to 1 inch bolt/plug on the output shaft cone is this a place to tie into a vacuum selector? Thats the approximate location of where the vac tree comes out on my 87.

I am not afraid to do some dissasembly to swap some stuff around, Of course I don't care to take more time than I have too but my main thing Is I don't want to disturb the tera planetary setup since they are supposed to be timed. If I have to dissasemble it tera wants me to send it all back to them for them to put it back together.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work Gary.
Why don't you just go buy an Atlas? :flipoff2: :D

Jes

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Most of those cases are very similar. We tear into them often. I bet you can just switch different features around to suit. Taking the case apart is likely. Unless you need to swap inputs you won't have to get into the Tera planetaries. In other words pull them out and start measuring/checking.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Can I just pull out the electronic speed sensor in the 92 yj case and bolt in my cable in my 87 xj?
1. if for some stroke of pure luck I could just unscrew the sensor and install the vacuum tree without dissasembling the case and or disturbing the planetaries.
Remove the vac switch from one case and put it into the same vehicle that it came out of. Do the same with the speedo gear.

I just took a 96xj 231 with auto, and traded it with my 90YJ 231 which has a 5spd. They had the same input spline count. All that I had to swap from the tcases was the vac switch and the speedo gears. For the vac switch and 4wd light:rainbow: the aluminum switch was just threaded into the front case half. On the speedo gear, just undid the clamp and removed the gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys, So far I have completed the first swap, 97 xj 231 into the 92 yj and I don't think there will be any issues with the teralow 231 into the xj, if for some funky reason my tranny has a 21 spline output which I really doubt, I have a spare 23 spline aw4.

all went well, the vac disco switch was really easy just like gripguru said you just unscrew and swap the vac tree for the plug.

speed sensors swapped easily.

as far as 231 input shaft there were diffrences, the tera 231 that was in the 92 yj stuck 1.75 inches past the mounting flange, and the 97 xj 231 stuck out 1.4 inches. I also measured how much the output shaft stuck out of the trannys, and they were both .55 inches. Since the trannys both had the same amount of shaft sticking out, I don't know why jeep uses a longer output shaft on the 5spd yj?

Jes its simple economics :)

Atlas = $2000, plus driveshaft alteration.

teralow = $0 :D also with the front disco axle and arb I have 2low, or if I keep the lockright axle the 2low kit is under $200

1 - 9 of 9 Posts