Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pretty good deal on a '98 3500 crew cab dually 4x4 with the 454 and an auto trans. My question is how reliable are the autos in this model. I dont know what year they started using allisons but i didnt think this was one of them. I have been looking for a 5spd because i have had trouble with auto in the past. I hope to be pulling a 2 car hauler with two rigs (toy mini-truck and fj40) so about 10,000-13,000 with trailer. With this do the job or am i going to be disappointed. I know mpg is going to suck but this wont be my DD so i would rather have the extra power when pulling. Tell me what you think.

(I dont have the money for a new truck so that isnt an option :( )

Thanks, Seth

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The auto should be the 4L80e. Had it in my 94 behind a 454. I bought it with about 75k on it and put about 30k on it, stock tranny as far as I know. It started sticking in 2nd gear on me once, but luckily it turned out to only be the transmission speed output sensor, $20 super easy fix. Never had any other problems with it after that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
yup it's a 4l80e. my 98 say 4l80e heavy duty but i don't know if there is a real difference. i just turned 100 g's and it still pulls strong. but i am thinking about a good tranny tune-up soon. pulling 13k with that rig will be okay, you will know it's back there and it slow down to 50 mph or so on up hill grades but you will get there. oh and don't tow in OD.

·
Registered
560 Posts
convertiyota said:
The auto should be the 4L80e. Had it in my 94 behind a 454. I bought it with about 75k on it and put about 30k on it, stock tranny as far as I know. It started sticking in 2nd gear on me once, but luckily it turned out to only be the transmission speed output sensor, $20 super easy fix. Never had any other problems with it after that.
Quite often if you clean the speed sensors they will start working again.

I have +183K miles on my 97 GMC with a 4L80E with just regular fluid/filter changes, and a couple cleaning of my speed sensors.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The 4L80E is designed around a T400 which is a stout bitch. I'd trust it more than any other auto out there. If they only had a solid axle 4x4, I think that would be an awesome truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts