Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to take ownership of wifeys little 98 pathfinder, 200+ miles but has recent tranny rebuild, motor runs like a champ, thinking I might can make a good trail rider out of it, nothing off the deep end (curious about a SAS9 me likey.) but want it to be a capable machine.

What are some of the better mods that will need to be done, or would it be smarter to consider a totaly newer/better model Nissan to mod ??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not a whole lot 'off the shelf'. They're unibody, which doesnt make them the best for offroad modding. I believe there are some basic lift kits.

·
Registered
310 Posts
They are excellent for mild offroading, like getting to camp sites, fishing spots, hiking trail heads etc. Just throw some slightly larger AT or MT tires and a simple 2" lift.

Other then that, like boardbysled said, they are unibody and have a pretty limited aftermarket.

Basically, they are very good capable reliable vehicles when left near stock. Sure you can do alot of custom fabwork and get anything done, but at that point it might be wiser to start with a different vehicle.

You can get lockers front and rear, with some armor (skid plates, rock sliders and bumpers) you can get pretty far and not need to worry about breaking shit. Skid plates and rock sliders will let you slide over most obstacles as long as you can get a wheel or 2 on the ground.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Done a lot of digging around last night and came to the idea its not the platform for building a crawler, which I dont need to go back down that rabbit hole again anyway, about all I hope do is a 3 in lift and 33 in rubber, lock out hubs and WILL have a winch, probably fab up a brush guard and bumpers, that should do what I need, just something to trail ride grand kids,camp,hunt,fish.

Just ordered a set of at tires today, and my daughter got hit square in the rear bumper last weekend, which gives me the perfect excuse to make a bumper,,,let the games begin !!!

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Post pictures when you get to fabbing. That is half the problem with the Nissan stuff is not enough people share their custom fabrication where it is searchable.:smokin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts