Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pop's farm truck needs a new motor, it's got the original 318(?) with 130K on it.
He's looking at junk yards for donors - is there anything else, like a newer ram motor that he can use to swap in without expensive retrofitting?
Or should he just look at having that one rebuilt?
Anybody got any personal experience / suggestions - don't know much about these trucks.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If you are looking to spend the least amount of money to get the truck back on the road, I would be looking for a junkyard 318. You could easily swap in a 360, but there will be additional parts required that may not make it an affordable swap. It really depends on how much you want to spend as anything is possible.

What is wrong the motor that is in it anyway?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil system is shot - pump, switch and several other items are in need of repair and the shop that has it is saying about $1000 to get it back on the road.
Seems like you could replace the whole motor for around $2-3K I'd think.....

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would think you could do it cheaper than that, but it may depend on how much the parts cost in your area...

As I mentioned before, your cheapest avenue is to get another 318 from the junkyard and just swap it in. The 360 will bolt right up, but the 318 is internally balanced while the 360 is externally balanced so there will be additional parts needed which will cost more and may make it harder to find all the parts needed. I'm also pretty sure that the new Hemis are also the same bolt pattern as the older small blocks, but there would be quite a bit more work and expense involved with that one.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread recently, rebuilding in my opinion isn't worth it (assuming you are looking for a stock motor). Unless you are building a performance motor for an application you will likely spend more to achieve the same thing that you could just have bought slightly used at a junkyard. Besides, around here there are a couple of junkyards with a lifetime warranty on all of their parts.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know - I'll definitely suggest the full on swap than the rebuild then.
I wasn't aware that yards would offer warranties but I've never got anything like a motor from a yard though.
Thanks for the input, it will surely help him make up his mind.

Appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts