Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a SAS on my 98 ranger 4x4 pretty soon. I am going to use a D44 from a wagoneer probably. Has anyone done this on this forum? i know one guy who has dont it and he is runnin 36s. I am going to run 36s also but i would like to see how some of yall did it? Also i am going to let 4wheelparts in atlanta do the work. How much u think they will charge?

Pics are great!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for pics, prices and info for a 98 ranger SAS.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
1248bullitt said:
search under 98 ranger sas and rerard on this site. you will find a 2 page thread with tons of links and info.

Wes
Yup. And don't bother having some else do the work. Round some friends up and do the best you can, but RESEARCH, RESEARCH and RESEARCH. Just use the little button up in the right hand corner of the screen marked SEARCH! :flipoff2:

It would prolly cost over $4K at least for them to do the work, and I doubt they'd back it up either.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
sas

Check out the rangerstation.com, or explorerforum.com. You could also check with crl customs, this guy does great work. But why pay someone, the fun part is building your own.

·
Registered
377 Posts
First off, 4wpw will not do it. They only do bolt on kits bought from them. they will no do any custom fabrications what so ever.

You might want to find a nice fab shop in your area if you are too scared to do it yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well how do i find a fab shop in Georgia? any body know of one?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I think a Dana 44 and a 8.8 rearend will do just fine. Just use Warn axleshaft and CTMs in the Dana 44.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i was going to definently get some CTMs but know since 4WPH cant do it i dont have anyone to do it. Me and my cousin can do it probably but he nor i have the time to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Maybe Warn sells ujoints but Im not sure, by the way the 8.8 can handle up to 37s with no prob, does your Ranger have a 8.8?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
2002 FX4 Ranger said:
He should have the 8.8. But, it has 28T shafts. Upgrading to 31 spline shafts might be wise.
He could just install some 31 spline limited slip diff

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
2002 FX4 Ranger said:
Best bet would be to swap in an Explorer 8.8 31T with Disc brakes.

To put 31 spline shafts in a ranger 8.8, you have to bore the axle housing.
Sounds like a good swap there

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
2002 FX4 Ranger said:

To put 31 spline shafts in a ranger 8.8, you have to bore the axle housing.
No you don't

You only need to swap the diff out and slide new 31 spline shafts in it.
You cannot swap in Explorer (or FX4) shafts, however. You need ones made specific for the Ranger housing.
Moser is one company making these.

If you already have the 8.8, this is the best way to get 31 spline.
If you don't have a 8.8, then swapping the whole Explorer axle in would probably be better, as youre swapping the whole thing anyway.
The Explorer axle will have a bit greater GAWR than a converted Ranger one, if thats any concern (bigger wheelbearings).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah im sure it has a 8.8, but im more interested in finding some one to do the swap right know. so fare i havent found any one to do it:(

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
To bad you are not out here

Hey if you where on the west coast I would practice on yours then do my swap on my f150.:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts