Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 98 k1500 Z71 w/ the 5.7l. It wont start when the engine is cold unless we pour gas into the throttle body. We have troubleshot and are pretty sure it has to be something in the fuel system. We've changed the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, spark plug wires,and the distributor cap. I've checked the voltage and ohms on the injectors and they are good. I put a fuel pressure guage on and it was reading around 55 psi when it should be between 60-66psi. The pressure also started dropping immediately after the peak was hit.
Is there anything else the problem could be besides the fuel pump (it was changed 3 years ago)? I really dont want to drop the gas tank unless everything else is ruled out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
My wife has a 98 k1500 Z71 w/ the 5.7l. It wont start when the engine is cold unless we pour gas into the throttle body. We have troubleshot and are pretty sure it has to be something in the fuel system. We've changed the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, spark plug wires,and the distributor cap. I've checked the voltage and ohms on the injectors and they are good. I put a fuel pressure guage on and it was reading around 55 psi when it should be between 60-66psi. The pressure also started dropping immediately after the peak was hit.
Is there anything else the problem could be besides the fuel pump (it was changed 3 years ago)? I really dont want to drop the gas tank unless everything else is ruled out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
NEW FUEL PUMP!

Does she run the truck down till its almost out of fuel? That will burn the pump up cause it uses the fuel to cool it, and less fuel in there will cause the pump to be uncovered heating it up. As soon as it hits the red line on E fill up!

I change my fuel filter every other oil change about every 12,000 miles. It help by not being a restriction and burn up the pump.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Dead head pressure on the fuel pump has to be bare minimum 47 psi. If you have 46 it won't start. How many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the 60-66 psi spec from my Haynes manual. So, it should start (since I have 55 psi)? Oh, the truck has 130,000 miles and the fuel pump was changed at about 100,000.
She does run the gas down to the red sometimes but not too often (at least not that I know about). Thanks for the help so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts