Pirate 4x4 banner

99 4.0L Knock and Smoke

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  urbanmuddboger 
#1 ·
i just got what i believe to be a great deal on a 99 Grand Cherokee 4WD 4.0L fully loaded with leather interior in excellent shape for $500 bucks. The problem is in the engine, it runs fine but has a loud knock and bluish white smoke and you can smell the burned oil. (i knew this when i bought it)

I have not had a chance to get into the motor yet, but to me it sounds like the knock is in the head, but not sure yet. Mainly im just wondering what kinds of problems these engines have and who has good quality reman. engines or rebuild kits. Thanks for your suggestions.

#3 ·
this motor is fine, they all do that from time to time.... just keep running it it should be a fine daily driver, especially if you have a long commute over 50 miles a day. i wouldnt even bother bringing a cell phone its so reliable, dont worry you got a great deal

now fuck off :flipoff2:

#4 · (Edited)
Awsome deal man! How many mile are on it? If it is over 80K or so then this is normal. Mix some diesel into your oil. Maybe like 1:4 ratio and it will quiet down for you.

After that goto McDonalds for breakfast and get a egg and cheese biscuit. You can add your own bacon since it seems you have plenty.

#5 ·
What a bunch of fawkin dicks. i bought the thing for 500 bucks i know the motor is messed up but everything else is in perfect shape, i was looking to see who makes a good crank kit or reman. head, or rebuild kit of good quality so i can get it goin and have a really good ride on the cheap. I am mechanically inclined but have never fooled with jeeps. I just rebuilt a 22R and fuel injected it along with a extended cab swap onto a regular cab frame and bobbed bed, running 38x11 boggers for my fourwheeling ride. Was just looking for a little info on the motor in general. Nevermind Assholes...God bless wish i could be just like yall......:flipoff2:

#9 ·
Thanks, ya know i try to help anybody out i can no matter what they drive, a toyota like mine, to a jeep, chevy, dodge, well maybe not a ford. i know alot a people get on here who dont know thier ass from a hole in the ground, but neither did you at one time. And suppose every one of those people you have bashed was totally against fourwheeling after that cuz they think everyone is that same asshole, and people wonder why we are losing places to ride and so many people are against us. I know i got some work to do on the motor, but for less than 2 grand ill have a helluva nice ride, to either turn around and make profit on, or possibly 4wheel or whatever i decide to do. You know you woulda bought it too for 500 bucks....:flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.