Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It only overheats after I leave the ac on for more than 10 minutes, but it'll overheat faster if I'm parked with the ac on. The first time it overheated, the overflow reservoir was actually overflowing with boiling hot coolant and spraying out from the overflow stem. I don't know if its supposed to do that, but someone told me a proper cooling system pulls coolant from the reservoir instead of pushing it in. Any ideas on what the issues are?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the same problem, I am just too busy and lazy for that matter to fix it. My aux fan isnt coming on. Like above, start there. I also have a winch and shit blocking a lot of air flow, so that doesnt help matters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wire the fan to a switch. also do all the basics. flush it, check the fan clutch, thermostat and water pump. only a couple things that will cause it to overheat. normally the HO is a good cooling system. i changed my 88 over to it and i run about 200 degrees all the time and hardly ever need my e fan anymore. im running the 3 core radiator too.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Both cherokees I have most definitely have a heating problem, I can not run the AC on trail duty. 1) the fan is not wired to a switch, although it does kick on as it's supposed to. 2) I have not installed hood vents yet 3) 185 thermostats.

Both water pumps have good flow, and one system is less then 3 years old (rad, pump, hoses)

I know it's a stupid answer, but as stated don't run the AC??

·
Registered
115 Posts
i just went to test that out. i started the jeep with no ac- the fan was off. then i turned on the ac, and the fan kicked on.
Keep waching it, it will probably stop turning after a while. I had the same problem with my XJ. The fan would come on at first then slowly stop spinning after a few minutes.

·
Registered
13,996 Posts
I would watch the fan as stated before BUT I would also see if the cores are plugged with dead bugs. But if you do flush the system out the best way is pull the thermostat flush it and then nutralize the flush. Then change your Bottom radiator hose. If you are not running a long life predeluted anti freeze I'd take the radiator off and have it professionally rodded out by a shop.

Tap water kills batteries and cooling systems only distilled water should be used in both.

About the bottom radiator hose? you lose the top hose you see a flash of smoke and smell it, you lose coolant. The bottom hose well you may never know it blew untill its too late to save your engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem except without my air on(air doesn't work). I just changed the thermostat,wired my fan to a switch and changed the water/coolant

·
Registered
481 Posts
the control unit does not kick the fan on until 213 degrees or the a/c is activated. if you hard wire it to a switch you can turn it on sooner or you can set it up to activate by a relay sooner.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
the control unit does not kick the fan on until 213 degrees or the a/c is activated. if you hard wire it to a switch you can turn it on sooner or you can set it up to activate by a relay sooner.
Even then it does not run continuously, or after the rig is shut down. With it being wired directly you can have 100% duty on demand whenever and however long you need, plus after you shut it down if you have hood vents, you can run it for a little while to help keep the engine bay from baking itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a site to look at. Look at the cooling section. http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html
I've never had an overheating problem myself, I guess I'm due. I have the factory tow package. The radiator is a dual core. This summer we had a few 104 degree days. Driving in the city here with the A/C on, the truck stayed below 200 degress.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. I think i fixed the problem, i got a thermostat and radiator cap. I only replaced the cap and left my car and ac running for like 2o minutes which made my engine and hood really hot, but i didn't get the temperature light to come on.

There was a lot of condensation around the ac condenser and I noticed the electric fan turned off after a while, but still wasn't overheating. Are these two things normal?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts