Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple of questions about the swap. I found a couple of threads on the swap but Im missing a few things about it. One Ive never done a power steering swap, is the pump still pressured once I turn the jeep off? How do I bleed it correctly? When I got the steering box from the junkyard I also took the cooler,hoses and connections. Do the connections thread right into the steering pulley? Do I have to just take it off and just put the steering box together or can I use the cooler too? I dont know what liter engine I got the box from but it was the V8. I called autozone and it said that all theyre steering boxes where the same for that year for any engine. Was this right or is there computer wrong, that has happened before. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All I can say is that you will losse some steering by going to the Durango steering box, unles you add a longer pitman arm, and if you do that you will have a problem hitting your steering linkage.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can say is that you will losse some steering by going to the Durango steering box, unles you add a longer pitman arm, and if you do that you will have a problem hitting your steering linkage.
Please explain. Whats changing that will make this happen?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
the durango one doesnt travel as much.

I did this mod. its not a huge improvement.

and I cant remember if I did the "snowplow" or "no snowplow" one. there was a TON of conflicting info out there.

also, I got mine from rockauto.com. price was lower but core charge was higher, and the shipping cost on the core return made it a stupid deal... just buy from a local parts store and dont screw with shipping a steering box.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did this swap and didn't lose any steering. The stock TJ is is 3-5/8 turns of the steering wheel lock to lock. The Durango box is 3 turns of the wheel lock to lock. The Durango box is a little bigger than a stock TJ box. I got all the fluid out of the Durango box by turning the input shaft with a pair of pliers. The connections on the TJ will hook up to the connections on the Durango box. To bleed it, just fill the reservoir and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, add more fluid and just keep doing that until it stops making noise. I did it a few weeks ago and haven't had an issue out of it and my turning radius is exactly the same as it was before the swap.

Edit: If you don't already have it, the non-plow version is the one you want.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the durango one doesnt travel as much.

I did this mod. its not a huge improvement.

and I cant remember if I did the "snowplow" or "no snowplow" one. there was a TON of conflicting info out there.

also, I got mine from rockauto.com. price was lower but core charge was higher, and the shipping cost on the core return made it a stupid deal... just buy from a local parts store and dont screw with shipping a steering box.
I got mine for 65 bucks. Came with the cooler out of the junkyard. You are right the both only turns 2 15/16 compared to the 3 5/8s of the stock tj. Worst comes to worst I swap it back out to the stock tj.

I did this swap and didn't lose any steering. The stock TJ is is 3-5/8 turns of the steering wheel lock to lock. The Durango box is 3 turns of the wheel lock to lock. The Durango box is a little bigger than a stock TJ box. I got all the fluid out of the Durango box by turning the input shaft with a pair of pliers. The connections on the TJ will hook up to the connections on the Durango box. To bleed it, just fill the reservoir and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, add more fluid and just keep doing that until it stops making noise. I did it a few weeks ago and haven't had an issue out of it and my turning radius is exactly the same as it was before the swap.

Edit: If you don't already have it, the non-plow version is the one you want.

Did u turn your vehicle on or leave it off while doing this? Ive heard u can break ur clock spring from turning it while its off.

So does anyone know about the cooler? If I can just thread it into the pulley?

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
I have had my durango box for maybe 3 years now. Only complaints are more recent. The box ended up getting very "loose". The box is still under warranty, but i thought i would take my chance trying to adjust the box and "tighten" it up a bit. I am referring to the adjuster screw on top. It has been working just fine since the adjustment.

IMO I would only swap to a durango if your stock one is shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i did it, and only change i noticed is it only turns 3 turns lock to lock, instead of 3.5,it is slightly larger, but that only matters of you have a steering box skid plate. personally i feel it was a waist of my time and money because i now have less turning radius...

·
Registered
753 Posts
The Durango box has a faster turning ratio, 12.7-1 vs 14-1 IIRC (Same total degrees of steering) and the larger internal piston compensates for the higher ratio, keeping the turning effort about the same, or slightly less than stock. Should fit right in TJ, ZJ, XJ and YJ jeeps, only uses three bolts for retension like the ZJ box, IIRC. Might be easier to find at the local Pick n pull than a TJ or YJ box.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What size tires were yall running when you did the swap? Im only running 35s and an ARB. From what Im hearing from u guys the box isnt like the hydro assist but I dont really need THAT much more power. Just enough to turn my wheels when stopped and locked up front on flat slickrock. Because right now I cant. Does the swap atleast give me that much or no?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was only on 33s , I did it because I only wanted to do it once and had similar experiences with my Dodge Ram . I have not had a steering issue in years

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not skip a step or take a chance on a used or remanufactured POS when you can get a good box from PSC for a couple bucks more and know its an improvement and its done right the first time ............ http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-72-12/95-02-jeep-yj-xj-tj-zj/

Thanks for the advice.

I had considered PSC, but not for the price. I know a couple of guys running Homemade Hydro assist that works great for about $250. The issue that arrises for me is that Im not a welder/fabricator. (I have a freind who does it for me, Im learning though) I just didnt wanna go that route while running a HP30.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I beleive the link I posted had a replacement box for like 279. which is exactly what I have been using . nothing to do with Hydro
I must have missed that one. Ill look again. Will I really get that much more power out of just swaping out the steering box or will I have to swap out the whole power steering setup?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did the pump too . At that time the TJ had over 200,000 miles on it so I figured start out fresh rather than contaminating the system if I have a pump problem later . Most everything including the motor has been replaced in this Jeep so I figured it would be around for a while. Like I said I did it for longevity more than power.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did the pump too . At that time the TJ had over 200,000 miles on it so I figured start out fresh rather than contaminating the system if I have a pump problem later . Most everything including the motor has been replaced in this Jeep so I figured it would be around for a while. Like I said I did it for longevity more than power.
Ohhh ok. Yeah my 99 tj only has 50k on it. I got it at 49k. Everything on it is still in great condition. I just got the durango box because it was supposed to help me turn the 35s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts