Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 grand cherokke and i want to tow my car hauler with my jeep (yj) on it.

the grand has the tow pacakage on it and says it will tow 6500lbs. the trailer has a 16.5bed tandem axles and brakes on one axle.

the YJ has 36s, 4.0, and 44s on it.

I also bought an equalizer hitch for it rated to 10,000lbs.

how will the grand tow the hauler and the YJ on it? should I be scared?

I tried once with out the equalizer hitch and the grand looked like it was taking off there was so much sqat. I am hoping the new hitch will take care of that.

suggestions?

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Seems to me like you are asking an awful lot of that little Grand Cherokee. I'd be keeping a close eye on things if I were you.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
I towed a similar load behind a full-size 1/2 ton Z71 for years. We're talking about a body-on-frame vehicle with leaf-springs in the rear. Big step up from a GC. And at best, it was marginal for the job. NO problem with power & I had brakes on both axles of the trailer. But, in general the truck got pushed around way too much on the highway by the trailer. This from a vehicle rated to tow 8,000lbs. I now have a 2500HD & am MUCH happier & safer when towing.

Bottom line, it's doable, but just BARELY. Your next tow rig will be bigger.

TEX

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Just cause the mfgs "tow rating" says it can do it doesn't mean it's a good idea;)

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
The equalizer will help. But it is a little hairball towing with 1/2 ton vehicles. My dad used to tow a Malibu Skiier with a Geo Tracker. That was nuts. :D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I towed a Commando on 38s on a trailer from NJ down to Tellico with an XJ Cherokee with the 4.0 a few years ago. It was a chore, but it did OK. The weight distibution hitch makes a HUGE difference. I just picked up a '96 Grand and intend to tow about the same rig as you and hope it will do OK. I am not sure, but check to make sure there is a tranny auxilary cooler on there. I read on JU that some of the newer one's don't have one stock, even with the towing package.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
results

well I towed with it. there was nothing wrong with the power, it actually did very well. with out the equalizer it would have been impossible. with out the equalizer the rear sagged almost 4", hooked up the new hitch and it was just less than two.

I hadn't hooked up the brakes yet and let me just say it was stupid to tow it with out brakes. I will not do that again. I could stop just fine, BUT if I ever had to stop in an emergency I would be dead.

the trailer seemed to push the rear end of the grand around a little bit when I had to brake in a turn but I think the brakes would help that out a lot.

bottom line: Iwill be towing with it again but only with brakes. and a 3/4 ton vehicle would be much better.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
how do you think a grand with the 5.2L engine would do towing a sami with toy axles and only 33's? it'll be on a trailer, not sure exactly how long but I know 16' or under, and I plan on having at least one set of brakes on the trailer. would probably have some extra weight on the trailer for like camping gear or other shiet like that, but nothing major.

lemme know what you guys think.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Get a bigger rig and stay alive

I have been towing with a 98 Tahoe for a couple years now. It took alot to get the rig up to the point where it could HANDLE it. I tow a large rig on a long trailer(6000+ lbs).

Now I have a family and the Tahoe will NOT be towing that trailer combination EVER again. There are too many issues that are BARELY up to the task. if the sway control is not adjusted perfectly, I can loose control, crash and maybe kill someone. If the brakes are not at full capacity(brand new pads, cool, nothing on the rotors/drums) I could have trouble stopping, crash and kill someone. If the trailer brakes stop working I won't be able to stop, could crash and kill someone.

Before the family I guess I wasn't too worried about killing myself, but the wife and the four year are kind of important. It also makes me realise that if I kill someone elses kid or wife I might feel bad.

Don't push it, accidents happen and in a panic situation you will be very thankful you had too much rig for the job, because if the situation pushes your rig passed its limits there is no amount of skill or experience that will save your life.

I know I have been there, its really scary when a Tahoe and 5000+ truck on a 26' trailer are sliding sideways on only half the tires coming down the hill into ridgecrest.

Its really not worth it.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts