Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 rodeo that has a wierd clunk from the drivetrain. It happens after you take off from a stop. It is felt but not heard. It's a v6 4x4 with an automatic, 80,000 miles and a fairly easy life up to this point. Is this common? Also wondering if any of its other problems are common to these vehicles. The four wheel drive doesn't like to disengage. I lost my power steering the first time off road. Appears to be the rack. Has a hole in the boot and a fluid leak.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I remember right, one of the common clunks from the rodeos was the drive shaft slip yoke drying out and "sticking" when it finally slips it clunks. Also chek to make sure your suspension links are all still tight.

Hate to tell you this, but you are now in need of a new rack & pinion. If the leak isn't too severe, you can keep it for a while, just keep adding fluid as needed. When it does go, you won't be able to keep fluid in it for more than a turn or two. What happens is the front tire droops too far and pulls on the internal shaft and ruins the seal. The seal is not replaceable:mad3:

I have gone to JY racks, I get them for about $100 attached to extra tie rods and often other useless extra parts. Beats the $$ for a new one.

When you pull the rack, cut the two lower mounting bolts off and you won't need to drop the corssmember or front differential like the manual says. Also discconnect the tierods from the inboard end (leave the tierods attached to the steering knuckles, dissconnect from the rack). Drill out the two lower mounting bolts for the rack and replace with new bolts. By doing this you can swap your third, fourth and fifth racks much quicker. I'm at about 2 hours and I don't work very fast.

Otherwise for a 99 rodeo, be sure to check the oil at EVERY gas stop if you go on road trips or drive mostly highway miles.

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You said a "yj" rack. Iam not opposed to using a different rack if it will work without headaches, but im not sure what you mean by a yj. And you mentioned checking the oil. are you referring to the power steering fluid or did you somehow know that my engine uses oil?
And thanks for the info!

·
Registered
57 Posts
the '98 to about mid 2000 3.2 DOHC engines in the Amigo/Rodeo's tends to burn oil when used on the highway for prolonged periods. Often times it can be quite a bit at higher speeds (70+) I know before mine was rebuilt it would easily burn a quart for every 1000 miles of freeway driving.

And as noted above JY=Junk Yard. I suppose if you were creative you could use a YJ (Jeep Wrangler) box but that would probably also involve a Solid Axle Swap.

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts