Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 99 Jeep with a Dana 30/44 Combo and I am out growing it. It has 33 spline axle shafts and an ARB in the rear and alloy shafts w/ lockrite in the front. I currently run 35' Krawlers, but I am looking to move up to 39' or 42' Iroks or equivelant tires. I am looking to get a HP Ford 60 for the front. First off, would this be a good one to get; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4620585736&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

I was thiking I could use the front and rear axle out of this truck and sell the rest. I know the owner and can get a pretty good deal on the truck. I realize I have alot of research to do, but didnt want to pass up a good set of axles during this process. Just to find out this is what I should have went with.

In case this helps;
Current setup; 4.0L, ax-15, np231, 30/44, RE 4.5 LA, Full Cage, 35' Krawlers
Proposed Setup; Stak, dana 60/70 or 60/60 ? 39.5 or 42' Iroks

All flames accepted and recommendations appreciated.
Thanks
Jess

·
Vendor
5,344 Posts
If you are going to swap a Stak case in I would get a chevy 60, read the 60 write up in tech, they are stronger in certain respects. For the rear I would swap in a 14 bolt unless you want gears lower than 5.13's but the Stak would solve that problem.

What rear is in that truck? Isn't it a Ford 10.25? If it is that would be a good choice too, but also limited to 5.13's.

Go for it.
Dave

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear is a Dana 70. But I like your thoughts on the Chevy 60. I am actually leaning towards a Rear 60 as well. I think a 14 Bolt/70 or even a 10.25 would all be a little to big and heavy. Would have to start looking for more HP then. Decisions, Decisions guess I just need to pick a path a go for it.
Thanks for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts