Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 580 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put together a 9mm upper for an AR. After spending some time searching around, it is looking like lots of parts are still out of stock. Instead of piecing it together from several different sources, I'd really like to get it all at one place. Brownells has a 16" YHM upper kit in stock 9mm Entry Upper Receiver Kit : AR-15/M16 YHM-7300 "ENTRY LEVEL" 9mm UPPER RECEIVER KIT | Brownells. It is not exactly what I want but it is complete. I want a 8"-10" barrel and a Specter length YHM light weight forearm. I can make the barrel any length I want and the forearm I want is relatively inexpensive. I don't need the flash hider, forearm or gas block.

Does this still sound like a quality setup? I'll be into it for under a grand with magazine and Hahn mag block and could probably get a few bucks back selling the parts I don't want/need.

I really haven't paid any attention to 9mm ARs so I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
This was my build list for my initial setup. I've since swapped a few parts out.

Brownells has the 10.5" YHM barrel. $179.99
Hahn/spikes tactical mag adapter $150ish
Metal form mags39.99
Cheap tube free float rail.40-100
Charging handle $15-50

Rock river has flash suppressor$15

American spirit arms for the bolt$200

Got from PBB member in trade for work. Stripped upper.

If you go dedicated take out $150 for adapter add $350 for cmmg dedicated lower or DDLES glock lower.

The parts I ended up with are

Custom built heavy fluted barrel from petty ordinance. I know it sounds silly but they work awesome and never heat up.

Traded the stripped upper for A3 upper because there no use for the forward assist and I never close the dust cover.

Dedicated CMMG Rifle lower

ASA bolt

Troy Alpha rail

Yada yada

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at some of the carbines that use Glock mags. Well under a grand
I need to use my Ca registered "Assault weapon" lower to configure this the way I want to.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With an 8"-10" barrel? Do you have a registered SBR in California?
No but I will make and permanently install a muzzle device that will make the effective barrel length legal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
No but I will make and permanently install a muzzle device that will make the effective barrel length legal.
This what I originally did and the material that's left at the end of the barrel is so small the fake can I had pinned to it would easily flex. If I ever dropped it I'm convinced it would have snapped off. Think about it .355-.357 ID with a .50 OD. I had been talking with the my gunsmith and he showed me his 9mm AR which has his prototype barrel and I had him start building me one. He made me a good deal because the fake can turned out to be threaded crooked by the manufacturer. Here is mine right after I got it done. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1381037316.619116.jpg

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not just use a 16" barrel then?
I have reasons that I don't necessarily want to make public right now.

The topic of this thread was more about the quality of the linked kit: YHM upper/barrel, CMMG bolt and Hahn mag block. Is this a good choice or should I be looking at something else?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts

The topic of this thread was more about the quality of the linked kit: YHM upper/barrel, CMMG bolt and Hahn mag block. Is this a good choice or should I be looking at something else?
Sorry, I was curious about California grandfathering laws.
I have a Spikes Tactical with a 5" barrel and I run it frequently with my Trident9 silencer. It's awesome with 147 grain subsonics.
A 16" barrel adds velocity and energy to the relatively weak 9mm cartridge.
If you are aiming for subsonic velocity then I would personally go shorter than 10" unless you are planning on porting the barrel like an MP5.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, I do want standard 147s to be subsonic. From what I have read, most of them are still subsonic even out of a 16" barrel.

I'm not seeing the Spikes stuff in stock anywhere. Their website is really limited on what they show too. I do like their dedicated 9mm upper receiver though.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

My apologies, I thought that you might have been building a pistol. I do not have a 9 mm AR, but I am considering building a pistol version in the future. I will be following this thread to see what you come up with though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes both products are of good quality.

Does that kit come with a 9mm buffer and buffer spring? They are different than standard AR. A standard will cycle but if you are shooting hot or heavy loads it may slam the back of the buffer tube.

I built my entire gun for close to the cost of that kit. Also double check that there is a California legal mag setup using the conversion block or they may not ship it to you. It will take calling and talking to someone about it at brownells probably.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes both products are of good quality.

Does that kit come with a 9mm buffer and buffer spring? They are different than standard AR. A standard will cycle but if you are shooting hot or heavy loads it may slam the back of the buffer tube.

I built my entire gun for close to the cost of that kit. Also double check that there is a California legal mag setup using the conversion block or they may not ship it to you. It will take calling and talking to someone about it at brownells probably.

Says it comes with the heavy buffet but don't see a spring mentioned. Brownells had a copy of my california "large capacity magazine" permit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sounds like a good kit to me. Being a straight blowback operated upper the heavy buffer is the important part. There are less expensive ways to do it but you are right in thinking that you'll have to piece it together. Before you buy check out cmmg's kit I think it's closer to the $750 mark.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have the kit mentioned by the OP. Installed it on an Aero lower with a PSA parts kit and Magpul Stock. I have put 500 +/- rounds through it to date. Various ammo WWB, UMC, and PPU. No steel case yet, but I am curious to try it. No problems. I zeroed it at 30 yds on an indoor range with an Eotech EXPS3-4. Seems to shoot pretty true.

I looked at building one from scratch with various parts, but decided to buy a kit for my first 9mm build. So far no regrets.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Yeah, I do want standard 147s to be subsonic. From what I have read, most of them are still subsonic even out of a 16" barrel.

I'm not seeing the Spikes stuff in stock anywhere. Their website is really limited on what they show too. I do like their dedicated 9mm upper receiver though.
I have had 147's give a sonic crack out of a 16" barrel before. More often from factory 147 loads rather than my hand loads. It depends on the temperature outside whether it cracks too. It gets bad in the winter sometimes when it's real cold.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most likely it's going to end up around 7.5"-8" barrel plus muzzle "device".

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Mine is a 7" barreled pistol. Future plans are SBR and can. In fact, I need to get on that...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That's a good kit, and Hahn makes a good conversion block. I would also recommend the Rock River conversion block as being of equal quality.

Listen to what others have said on the buffer, they are different. Search my username and 9mm AR and you'll see some discussion on them, long story short, heavier is better. If you are going to with a pistol/sbr barrel length and/or going to suppress it, then spend some extra coin and get the 12oz. 9QT buffer here: Heavy Buffers | Products

As for suppliers, I would give JSE Surplus a CALL, ask them what they can get in a reasonable time-frame, then order that. Their website often shows stuff as out of stock, but even in the midst of the stupidity, I always had good luck with them shipping fast. I've built 4 9mm AR's from them, they use good stuff.

1 - 20 of 580 Posts