Pirate 4x4 banner
561 - 580 of 580 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
OMG I just threw up in my mouth. I even have a thing for ugly "survival" rifles. This thing is BAD. I hope Boyd's releases a new stock quickly. F' me.

I always liked the camp carbines. This should be more like those.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bill Ruger is rolling over in his grave. lol!

It can be converted to Glock mags, it's a take-down AND it has a threaded muzzle. If I wasn't throwing all of my extra cash toward paying off the house, I would get one. I'll be getting a used one down the road for sure. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
PCC is really starting to take off up here. I am not looking to build one at this time but for an off the shelf set up I am leaning towards a Freedom Ordnance FX-9

https://freedomordnance.com/fx-9-9mm-carbine/

Any of you guys have any experience with this particular platform?

It is not available up here at this time but is pending approval from the powers that be.
This ever pan out? I just got a FX9 8” in trade, looks like a nice piece for the money.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looks like poop but i like the concept.

I wish they had done it non-takedown and gave it a sweet wood stock.
OMG I just threw up in my mouth. I even have a thing for ugly "survival" rifles. This thing is BAD. I hope Boyd's releases a new stock quickly. F' me.

I always liked the camp carbines. This should be more like those.
Bill Ruger is rolling over in his grave. lol!

It can be converted to Glock mags, it's a take-down AND it has a threaded muzzle. If I wasn't throwing all of my extra cash toward paying off the house, I would get one. I'll be getting a used one down the road for sure. :grinpimp:

Can't deny the popularity of the Ruger PCC !!:D
I've seen a bunch at various matches I've been to during the past year or so.
Aftermarket starting to catch-up too.
Probably a big selling point is it doesn't have the evil features of the AR type PCC guns that may have restrictions in certain states.

I'm currently gathering parts for a New Frontier 9mm MP5 mag build.

_

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Can't deny the popularity of the Ruger PCC !!:D
I've seen a bunch at various matches I've been to during the past year or so.
Aftermarket starting to catch-up too.
Probably a big selling point is it doesn't have the evil features of the AR type PCC guns that may have restrictions in certain states.

I'm currently gathering parts for a New Frontier 9mm MP5 mag build.

_
What is the benefit of the MP5 magazine over the Colt 9 mm AR, or Glock mag?

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
none.

unless you are a roller lock guy and already have a pile of MP5 mags.

but going from an mp5 to an AR9 is ass backwards and confusing why anyone would really want to do that. Typically, people "build" an AR-9 because its cheaper and easier to do for a home builder. But the general consensus is the mp5 kicks the ar-9's ass in almost every measurable performance category. Quieter when suppressed, softer recoil impulse, smoother cyclic rate, much less gas in the face, etc.

but maybe some people have to have that last round BHO at the expense of all the other tangibles. or maybe everyone needs to try all the guns. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
721 Posts
none.

unless you are a roller lock guy and already have a pile of MP5 mags.

but going from an mp5 to an AR9 is ass backwards and confusing why anyone would really want to do that. Typically, people "build" an AR-9 because its cheaper and easier to do for a home builder. But the general consensus is the mp5 kicks the ar-9's ass in almost every measurable performance category. Quieter when suppressed, softer recoil impulse, smoother cyclic rate, much less gas in the face, etc.

but maybe some people have to have that last round BHO at the expense of all the other tangibles. or maybe everyone needs to try all the guns. :flipoff2:
The reason for an MP5 mag lower build....

I have 2 guns for Glock mags...
I have 2 guns for Colt mags...
Now I'll have one for MP5 mags.
I think that the curved MP5 mag is the sexiest of all 9mm PCC guns.

And you can never have too many PCC guns. :flipoff2:

Here's my PCC page on FB....

Pistol Caliber Carbines

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I bit the bullet last night and bought a foxtrot mike FM-9 billet lower. Was going to grab one of their uppers but I have wait until it’s back in stock. I already picked up an H3 buffer and a JP tuned and polished .308 buffer spring. Trying to decide if I want a fancy trigger or if I should just polish up a Mil-Spec trigger. Last one I built I put a RTB nickel Teflon trigger. It’s better than stock but not sure it’s worth the $30.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I bit the bullet last night and bought a foxtrot mike FM-9 billet lower. Was going to grab one of their uppers but I have wait until it’s back in stock. I already picked up an H3 buffer and a JP tuned and polished .308 buffer spring. Trying to decide if I want a fancy trigger or if I should just polish up a Mil-Spec trigger. Last one I built I put a RTB nickel Teflon trigger. It’s better than stock but not sure it’s worth the $30.
Make sure to get a buffer spacer. Or make your own.

·
Registered
721 Posts
$2 in quarters or washers would be cheaper.
Sure, you can put quarters in there.
Then just knock out your front teeth, do some meth, and sleep with your sister while your at it.

Or you can spend a few bucks and get a spacer that well-designed, fits correctly,
doesn't preload the buffer spring and change it's compressed length,
And it helps absorb some of the recoil of a blow-back 9mm bolt/buffer.

I know.... it's a hard choice for some, but there it is. :flipoff2:

_

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Sure, you can put quarters in there.
Then just knock out your front teeth, do some meth, and sleep with your sister while your at it.

Or you can spend a few bucks and get a spacer that well-designed, fits correctly,
doesn't preload the buffer spring and change it's compressed length,
And it helps absorb some of the recoil of a blow-back 9mm bolt/buffer.

I know.... it's a hard choice for some, but there it is. :flipoff2:

_
A spacer, the correct 9mm buffer or a stack of quarters all preload the spring and change its length. :homer: I’ll go the cheap route.

·
Registered
721 Posts
A spacer, the correct 9mm buffer or a stack of quarters all preload the spring and change its length. :homer: I’ll go the cheap route.
The lip of a spacer where the spring sits is like 1/8".
It controls the length of stroke, doesn't interfere with the spring, and helps absorb shock from blowback recoil, weighs almost nothing.

8 quarters is like an 9/16"...which is too short to properly control length of stroke, and will damage the bolt release with the bolt repeatedly slamming it.
It interferes with the spring, adds weight, loose coins rattle around when impacted by the buffer, they scratch the smooth interior of the tube, and lets face it....
When it comes to building a gun, do you really want to do it half-assed ??
Or do you want it to be built and operate well with good components ??

FWIW...
For like the past 6 years, I've been competing in various PCC matches (outlaw steel, USPSA, Action Pistol, etc), and shoot close to 1K rounds a month with the guns I've built.
I've built them using Glock mag lowers....Colt mag lowers...and now, MP-5 mag lowers....
I've modified barrel feed ramps, cut/thread, pin and weld, etc.
I know what works, what works best, and what it takes to get them running reliably....even when suppressed.

OR....

You can take the advice of some random guy on the internet that says shove $2 worth of quarters in your gun.....:laughing:

_

561 - 580 of 580 Posts