Pirate 4x4 banner

A big block motor, in a CJ-7?

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Oxjockey 
#1 ·
How much work is involved in putting a big block into a CJ-7? I know that Curries had a multiport injected 454 in a YJ a few years back, but how much work did it take, and would the effort be similar for a big block in a CJ? The motor I am considering is this bad boy:

Ram Jet 502

One of my concerns is clearance between the block/header and the steering shaft, there isn't much room there with the small block 304 that is already under the hood. So what issues am I going to run into while trying to stuff a big block between the fenders of my CJ-7? All comments appreciated.

Thanks,
ps3tv.

#7 ·
NE-RokToy said:
Thats true...theres no such thing as too much torque....but i think its better to stick to Small blocks...because they are lighter, smaller and more fuel eficient....and if you dont have enough power with a Sb v8...then stroke it...get a 383 or something...

But if you still like big blocks heres a link that could help..
www.novak-adapt.com

#9 ·
BB in CJ or Wrangler

Whats up guys? I have a 88 wrangler with a 454 sm465 np205. The cool thing with the wrangler is the frame is quite abit wider than a chevy truck and the BB is almost the same length as a straight 6. I made my own m/mounts out of 3/8 plate because of the weight factor. Mepco 4x4 sells a v8 conversion radiator that is a 4 rowHD and it works really well. I also installed a 14'' electric fan just for those hot days. My jeep has plent of torque to pull a good wheely or a nice burn on the rocks!!!!! Hope a helped a little . Mike

#11 ·
Why a Big Block?

Well, let's see... More HP, More Torque, WAY more inertia so you can run at 300-400 RPM and not kill your motor in an Auto..but most importantly

Its COOL :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.