Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least as far as low pinion rears go?? I'm curious cuz i have a line on a housing (only, nothing else) that was used in a military application.

here are some specs i have:

distance from flange to flange is 56.0", axle tube diameter is 2.750", axle tubes are equal lengths, axle bearing bore is 3.150", and the flange is a six bolt on four inch centers.
who knows somethin??

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only D60 I know of with a 6 bolt flange pattern is the SF 35 spline jobbers from the early 70s J series pickups. They were considered "medium duty" and used the smaller axle tubes like you mentioned. If it is this D60 it should have D60-2 cast in the top of the diff and an offset diff set way to the pass side.

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only pic i've seen has just 60 stamped into the housing. These look fairly new also.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I haven't dealt with a whole lot of 60's, but the ones I have seen pass through my hands have all had 3-1/16th" OD on the axle tubes. These have all been full floaters though.

Easy

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
The early 1970 J series trucks had the 60 with 2.75'' tubes the only problem is the wheel bearings-- one of a kind only made for 2.5 years. Got one in last week and there were only 4 bearings in the United States thru my sources, and they were almost 100. each. The shafts are 35 spline, real beef for a factory rear. Timken only-- can't remember the # off hand One was in Texas 2 in Utah and one was in Florida. Still waiting for the customer to decide what to do looks like we may go to a warn full flost kit.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
KWTMECH said:
The early 1970 J series trucks had the 60 with 2.75'' tubes the only problem is the wheel bearings-- one of a kind only made for 2.5 years. Got one in last week and there were only 4 bearings in the United States thru my sources, and they were almost 100. each. The shafts are 35 spline, real beef for a factory rear. Timken only-- can't remember the # off hand One was in Texas 2 in Utah and one was in Florida. Still waiting for the customer to decide what to do looks like we may go to a warn full flost kit.
Could you weld on a BB 9" end?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
You can weld on a new end but the difference is the shaft diameter, the bearing O.D. is the same as the A20 but it is the I.D. of the bearing that makes it rare so swapping the end is not really needed unless you are going to change brake setups or ?Have custom shafts made, then you can use the regular 20 bearing with the stock end.

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main thing that has me stumped is he says it was used in a military application... can't be many different options there... maybe there will be a serial # or something???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts