Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been pretty well chronicled that I've been running Toy axles in competition and stupid trail use for a few years now. This off season we decided to make a change. The main reason is steering. I could not keep up with the Joneses with ~30 degrees of steering. So out they came.

Just to recap, I was running a Tundra Chunked Diamond housing with 30 Spline Longfields. Never broke a birf until the last comp (Pro Rock's Women's Nationals).

For the new build we wanted to stay light while increasing steering and strength. We needed to achieve that while not blowing through what little budget I had. To do that I worked with both Brian at Diamond and Scott at Rockstomper to come up with a cool mix of bling and budget parts and then stuffed it with Bobby's ultra beef Dana 60 CV's.

Here's a parts rundown:
Longfield 60 CV's
Diamond Chromoly Housing (3.5" .25 wall tube)
Stock 60 Inner C's
Reid Racing Aluminum Outer C's
Dana 50 TTB Spindles
Dana 50 TTB Wheel Hubs (Turned and drilled to fit a yota 6 lug wheel)
14 Bolt Spindle Nut setup
Ford F250 Rotor turned and drilled to match
Yota V6 dual piston calipers
Rockstomper high steer arms and caliper brackets
Rockstomper dual ended ram
Currie 9" (low pinion in the front for fitment) 5.13 gears.
Detroit Locker
Diamond Flanges

That's the parts list, now the completely 'un' professional photographs:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
cool comparison. i haven't seen that before. you wont be breaking those anytime soon. your gunna be stoked when its going.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wayne (ZukIzzy) turned the steering stop down on the knuckles. My understanding is that Reid (fka Dedenbear) made 20 sets of these aluminum knuckles. They earmarked this set for a future project that Brian was putting together. The stars aligned and was able get ahold of them. The weigh 8 pounds a piece. The stops will hit at 45 degrees. I couldn't have squeezed anymore out of my chassis anyway.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know you are wondering where the 'budget' part of this build is:flipoff2:

I'm missing a pic of the wheel hubs, but they are run of the mill stock Dana 50 TTB wheel hubs that were turned down and drilled to match a toy pattern.

The rotors were found by Rockstomper Scott. They are an off the shelf Ford F250 application that was turned to match the hub. Scott also got a little happy with the mill and took out made 4.5 pounds of chips from each rotor:laughing:

These things are massive. They are just shy of 14" in diameter. We're counting on these to improve our brake performance because of the additional leverage the big diameter will have.

Edit: This pic is just to show the size difference between my old vented disk yota brakes and the new ones

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
last pic for the night.

We were pushing hard to try to get these hung over the weekend. Even after raiding the shop of Scott Parker at Rockbuggy Supply, we were still short some D60 parts. So we fabbed up some new King Pin parts. These are not only light weight, they are also aerodynamic ;)

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I weighed all the parts individually, here's what I came up with:

Diamond Chromo .25 wall tube with Stock 60 Inner C's - 68 lbs
Custom mongo huge Rockstomper Rotors - 19 lbs each
Reid Racing Aluminum Outer C's - 8 lbs each
Stock wheel hub - 13 lbs each
Stock spindle - 10 lbs each
Bobby Long D60 CV - 14 lbs each
Long Side Axle - 19 lbs
Short Side Axle - 8 lbs
Caliper Mounts - 3 lbs each
Toyota Calipers - 4 lbs each
Drive Flange and Hardware - 6 lbs per side
Currie iron chunk with ARB and 5.13 Gears - 85 lbs (soon to be Detroit)
Rockstomper HiSteer Arms - 5.5 each
King Pins and Kits - 5 lbs per side
Wheel Studs - 1.25 per side
Gear Oil - 1 Gallon - 6 lbs

355.5 lbs wet

Steering:

Rockstomper Dual Ended Ram - 23 lbs
Shorty Tie Rods and Heims - 5.5 lbs per side
Basher bar ~20 lbs
Rockstomper Ram Mounts - 5 lbs

59 lbs in steering
plus maybe 15 lbs in link tabs = 429.5 lb total.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Thanks for the break down and pics.

This is what i want to do once i get rid of the toy front

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
anyone ever think of using the dana 50ttb inner c and knuckle assemble with a 9" in combo with some stock d60 shafts and 35spl spool/locker in the 9" 3rd for a cheaper front 609, i know theres a thread in the ford forum of someone using a d61 and ttb inner knuckles out, only downside is the balljoint/lack of high steer options, and the slight mods/reinforcment to the knuckles to get the joints to clear

Love the axles, you're making my wish list grow by leaps and bounds lol.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Aluminum outers knuckles huh? We have been working/thinking about billet steel outer knuckles, but aluminum would actually be cheaper to machine. I had/have concerns about how they will hold up long term though.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Dave, before some cheap bastard squirrils away your old axle, will you weigh it wet and see what kind of weight gain you had from the old to the new?

Also, you are going to love the placement of the added weight.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
I happen to know Dave, and I know he works HARD for his sponsors, and deserves every sponsor he has, and what they do for him. Sick looking build Dave.

Scott

1 - 20 of 149 Posts