Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am running a volvo motor and trans adapted to a single toy case. i am going to tube the front of my samurai and i thought it would be the time to do a stretch. my thought is to cut and splice a piece into the frame between the trans and tcase and move the motor, trans, and front axle forward 6.5" and put in a doubler. same rear drive shaft, longer front. lengthen the steering shaft, mod the floor, and some plumbing where lines come up short. i also would like some more room between the motor and firewall. because donor hoods are hard to find i will stretch the cowl section to move my hood forward enough to cover the radiator.

are there any write ups on this kind of stretch? all i can find is a few pics in the "how long are you" thread.

all input is appriciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Excuse me if I seem dumb. But between tranny and transfer case? Like you want to make the door opening/jam longer? Or like jeep did with the scramblers with the longer rear quarter?

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
if im understanding right your going to stretch the body at the cowell and rear of front fender area but just in front of the firewall? and the frame under the back of the front seats basically? sounds like a cool idea im interested to see how a cowell that long will look. i think it might look better to stretch it elsewhere but just my 2cents. post some pics.

also something to look into, what adapter are you using to the toy case? i belive with the volvo tranny, an aa adapter, and a toy case you loose the seal that keeps the tranny fluid in the tranny and the gear oil in the t-case. works fine on flat ground overfilled with atf but ass soon as you go up a steep hill all the fluid goes back and the tranny slips.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i am running a 2.3 turbo (b230ft) out of an 87 volvo 740. the tranny is a 4 speed manual (M45) out of a volvo 240 i made my own adapter and it works great. i did a write up on the adapter. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850139&highlight=volvo

i am going to cut the frame under the doors and move the front half away from the body and rear half. i am not much of a sheetmetal guy so i am going with the simplest place to stretch. the cowl is fairly srtaight with no real body lines to follow. i think i will run a tube across the front of the new cowl piece to bolt the hood hinges too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got motivated and cut it up a few days ago. it all went smooth. now time for some tube fenders and duals when the adapter shows up. just cut the frame, pulled it apart, inserted a piece of 2 X 4 X 3/16" box tube, then plated both sides and the bottom of the frame. extended my steering shaft, throttle cable and a few wires. still have to tube the front, move the hood and build some cowl. sorry about the blurry pics:(.

before:

with fenders after:

ready for some tube:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts