Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 yota 4x4 22re with the forward shift w56....the tranny bearings are going bad...i have an option to grab a w56 with 10k miles on a rebuild for $125 (if i get it tomorrow)...BUT its a TOP shift...no transfer case....i have read that its not really possible to use a forward shift transfer case on a top shift tranny, so im wondering if its at all possible to pop the transfer case, AND the back half of the tranny (section with shifters) off the forward shift and use it on the front sections of the top shift...basicly converting the as much of the rebuilt top shift trans and innards to be a forward shift to work with the transfer case......looking at the various pics with them next to each other it sure looks like they are the same trans from center plate forward... i figure i would need to use various rods or whatnot from the forward shift to make it work, but they are all there for me to use

also want to ask....if it wont work, and i just go with finding a top shift transfer case to mate to it, will i have to cut at the floor in my cab, or do both types use the same size/shape/position hole...and will my original driveline work.....(is an entire forward shift to top shift swap a simple bolt in?)

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Swap the tailhousings and shift rails and you'll be in business.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I would just convert your t case to top shift. Done. But you may want to look at trans shifter location, I have heard that w56 (top shift t case) has a trans shifter location that will be way forward in your vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet...so it IS just as simple as it looks?....the front half of w56 is the same, just tail housing and shifter bits are different between the top and forward shift type trannys?...id prefer to go with that route since it will save lots of money, and hastle....at least for right now....i dont really want to deal with different shifter positions, nor kits or minor modding to make the transfer case a top shift (as i have seen a few people mention is needed to do the conversion)...

so yeah, its just that easy?...pop off the tail and some internal shifting bits, and a top shift trans is a forward shift?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i bought the trans, and brought it home...popped the tailshaft housing off, and it looks like it should be a REALLY easy swap, assuming its all swappable like that (and it DOES look swappable)....i havent seen the inside of mine, its my driver, and i dont want to tear it down before im more sure its right, but it looks like it ought to be fine

·
Registered
644 Posts
good luck with the swap, worse case is if it doesn't work, you can do what Dave said, and convert the forward shift t-case to a top shift and just worry about shifter locations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts