Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1- 6.12.7 "Ball valves must be installed on all fuel lines including vent lines. Ball valves must be mounted under the Vehicle."

What are ball valves?

#2- My battery is mounted behind the front seats in a Marine battery box that uses the supplied nylon strap and plastic buckle....Is this accepted?

#3- There is no room between the front seats to mount my 2nd fire extinguisher. Currently I have it mounted right in front of the driver seat on the floor. Where else can it be?

#4-6.16.2 "Adequately padded headrest or neck support acceptable to W.E. Rock official inspectors is required.

I have Corbeau Baja SS seats. Will the headrest on these seats pass tech or can I wear my motocross neck brace?

#5- 6.15.8 "gussets must be welded in the four corners of the "halo". Gussets may be tubing or plate steel.

My cage does not have a "halo", unless by halo they mean the tubing that is above the driver, but I do have gussets. Are these gussets good (pic)?

Thanks...

Rob

Attachments

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Lil is in Cedar, setting up for the event so I'll take on a few of these with disclaimers on some.

1. Ball Valves are 1/4 turn valves that allow someone to shut off the fuel flow completely on all lines coming from the tank. Each line must have a valve. We get them at Home Depot in the plumbing dept and use the 3/8" all brass one for the fuel flow, and 1/4" all brass for the return and vent. They range in price depending on what you get and where, but we find them for around $12.

2. A marine box is not a great solution regardless of what they are made for. The battery should not be moving at all and most boxes don't fit the batteries tight enough, and their mounting solutions are not exactly snap-roll strong. I cannot see this type of mount passing tech but Lil Rich will have to clarify as I am only making an assumption here.

3. Not every rig can have perfect fire extinguisher mount locations. Make sure you can get to an extinguisher if needed, and your spotter can get to an extinguisher if needed, and be sure the mounts actually work. We are looking at so many extinguisher mounts out there and recognising that because of the screw type buckle, they are impossible to get out in haste and are basically ineffective. Do your best to be smart on this one...it's your life and buggy on the line.

4. In the photo it apprears your seats are legal as they have the built-in headrest. However, put a shoulder harness on...we've lost too many friends this last year to not wearing harnesses...

5. Your gussets appear to be in compliance with the rule.

Again, Lil is the one to make final calls on these things but I am not sure when he'll be able to check in. What I have offered should give you a good start and I believe are the correct interpretations.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lil is in Cedar, setting up for the event so I'll take on a few of these with disclaimers on some.

1. Ball Valves are 1/4 turn valves that allow someone to shut off the fuel flow completely on all lines coming from the tank. Each line must have a valve. We get them at Home Depot in the plumbing dept and use the 3/8" all brass one for the fuel flow, and 1/4" all brass for the return and vent. They range in price depending on what you get and where, but we find them for around $12.That is what I was thinking, now, it says all fuel lines. Does this mean 1 for feed, 1 for return? or 1 on each line. I have a line going from the cell to a filter, filter to pump, pump to carbs and no return. So do I need to have 3 or 1? I hate playing "semantics" but want to be sure.

2. A marine box is not a great solution regardless of what they are made for. The battery should not be moving at all and most boxes don't fit the batteries tight enough, and their mounting solutions are not exactly snap-roll strong. I cannot see this type of mount passing tech but Lil Rich will have to clarify as I am only making an assumption here. True. I will keep the marine box, but add an internal hard mount inside the box. Easy enough.

3. Not every rig can have perfect fire extinguisher mount locations. Make sure you can get to an extinguisher if needed, and your spotter can get to an extinguisher if needed, and be sure the mounts actually work. We are looking at so many extinguisher mounts out there and recognising that because of the screw type buckle, they are impossible to get out in haste and are basically ineffective. Do your best to be smart on this one...it's your life and buggy on the line.I agree, and will add the one to the b pilliar (IAW the rules), and kkep the one in front of the seat as it is very easy to get with 5 points on.

4. In the photo it apprears your seats are legal as they have the built-in headrest. However, put a shoulder harness on...we've lost too many friends this last year to not wearing harnesses...yeah, we always wear our lap belts, but we should slip the harnesses on when we arrive to the few "rocks" we have. It only takes a second.

5. Your gussets appear to be in compliance with the rule.good

Again, Lil is the one to make final calls on these things but I am not sure when he'll be able to check in. What I have offered should give you a good start and I believe are the correct interpretations.

Thanks DW!! Like I said above, I hate semantics, but would rather get everything sorted out before arriving someplace for a comp.

Rob

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
You also need to have 3" above your helmet when sitting in your rig. From the picture it looks like it could be close.

One ball valve on the pressure, return, and vent.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
4. In the photo it apprears your seats are legal as they have the built-in headrest. However, put a shoulder harness on...we've lost too many friends this last year to not wearing harnesses...
yeah, we always wear our lap belts, but we should slip the harnesses on when we arrive to the few "rocks" we have. It only takes a second.
Kevin Rothman was only wearing his lap harness and wasn't on any rocks
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686764

Dave "Kyle" Halabuk was only wearing his lap harness and wasn't on any rocks.

Wear the full harness, please. Read the threads about Kevin's and Dave's accidents and see how much pain their families and friends are in. You don't want your friends and family to have to post in a similar thread. :(

·
Registered
16,095 Posts
2. A marine box is not a great solution regardless of what they are made for. The battery should not be moving at all and most boxes don't fit the batteries tight enough, and their mounting solutions are not exactly snap-roll strong. I cannot see this type of mount passing tech but Lil Rich will have to clarify as I am only making an assumption here. True. I will keep the marine box, but add an internal hard mount inside the box. Easy enough.
Marine battery boxes are sealed and built to hold the volume of battery acid for their size. Drilling through to mount brackets. Voids this ability.
Consider going to an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Then you can just hard mount it. They withstand shock a lot better than a regular wet cell.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Even driving from camp to camp, odd things DO happen...harness up fully when you are going to be moving.

As for valves, like I stated, on on the feed line from the tank, one on the return line to the tank, and 1 on the vent line...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Even driving from camp to camp, odd things DO happen...harness up fully when you are going to be moving.

As for valves, like I stated, on on the feed line from the tank, one on the return line to the tank, and 1 on the vent line...
I take it the bottle valve is sufficient for propane rigs?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I take it the bottle valve is sufficient for propane rigs?
id expect not - As i understand... the intention of the rule is for officials to be able to cut fuel to a rig if the rig is on its lid... most 'pane bottles ive seen cant be accessed from the bottom of the rig...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marine battery boxes are sealed and built to hold the volume of battery acid for their size. Drilling through to mount brackets. Voids this ability.
Consider going to an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Then you can just hard mount it. They withstand shock a lot better than a regular wet cell.

I have a Optima Red top.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My Roll over valve is mounted on top of the cell.....Well this not be enough??

And I hear ya on the harnesses. When my kids ride in the back seat, I ALWAYS make them wear the 4 points, maybe I should hold my self to the same standard I hold them.:D

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol....I use the boat box to keep it out of site......plus, I mounted cup holders on the lid for kids drinks. The metal underneath is in a way that mounting the battery properly will not be an issue.

Rob

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
My Roll over valve is mounted on top of the cell.....Well this not be enough??

And I hear ya on the harnesses. When my kids ride in the back seat, I ALWAYS make them wear the 4 points, maybe I should hold my self to the same standard I hold them.:D
You need both a rollover valve and a shut off valve. Roll-overs work in most situations, but not all, so they make us go the extra.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dang....that sucks!!

What type of roll over valves do you guys run that mount on a vent hose?

Rob

·
Registered
758 Posts
i use 2 of 3/8" brass ball valve for the new style plastic water lines and the fuel injection hd hose clamps on the pressure and return = mounted as close to the fuel cell as possible and still accessable from underneath. the 1/4" vent line has a check valve that came in my jegs fuel cell and a manual 1/4" ball valve from jegs at the end of the vent line. total cost was about $30.00.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Yeah, it's like me now always wearing a helmet when I bike just to be a good example for them.

I still do the same retardedly dangerous things on skis or on a bike that I did as a kid...I just wear a helmet now. :laughing:

·
Registered
975 Posts
I found a inline ball valve at the local speed shop for our custom tank.You can also use a 1/4 turn gas plumbing valve from the hardware store.Working on the cheep side.

·
Shameless Racing
511 Posts
dang....that sucks!!

What type of roll over valves do you guys run that mount on a vent hose?

Rob
Roll over valve is mounted in the fuel cell with a ball valve at the other end

rci-7020a.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI%2D7020A&N=700+%2D118229+115&autoview=sku

if this is what you have already, that is good. you just need the ball valve (easily accessable) at the end of the vent in case fuel leaks past the roll over valve (usually when you are on your side).

something as simple as this with a barb fitting will work fine

39867506-099e-43e6-8312-6b660b20370a_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100039901

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I had this one on my tank. I took it apart, removed the cone filter, replaced it with the ball, then put a -6 nipple on the end, ran the hose under the cell with the ball valve.

I guess I need to replace my hydro lines with steel braided ones??

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts