Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to think of what many expedition worthy boats have that rigs usually do not, and this came to mind. Some of the bigger vehicles posted on this board have had a hydraulc lift on them, probably for dealing with the big spare tires. They can be simple and very light weight. Handpump or powered. At One time i wanted to make my rock sliders removable so they could pin to the bumper to be used as gen poles(A-frame) with the winch. Of course thats not as useful as a regualr lift, mainly because you can't swing it around. But i've seens some pretty cool stuff done on the back of a winch truck with poles. I ended up just making a dedicated slide in a frame for winching logs up the hills on our property. They otherwise couldn't be winched because they dig into the hill. What good uses can you think of that would really justify one? What good designs are there?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
There is a thread on here already about gin poles, though it was started before this section was created, so its probably in gen4x4 or maybe shop and tool.

pretty popular in Alaska for moose hunting and the like..

15,440 Posts
I have a hydraulic wheelchair lift I bought at an auction and a big unmounted Tommylift style hydraulic liftgate, neither of which I have set up because I have other rigs with Gin poles. They are pretty handy for moving big stuff around. I have a small A frame that I can use as an engine hoist that bolts up to a couple of my trucks also. I also made a little swingout hoist that is receiver mounted. On an expedition type rig that would probably be the most practical.
Like this sort of.http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37555

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't even think about loading big game. It would be much more convient if you didn't have to cut them up on the spot.

I'm thinking a central mounted lift that could reach all the way around the vehicle would be sweet.

You really live in south park? Thats awesome. I wish i lived there so my yard could look like yours! Since we're posting pics, I threw this together last weekend to move this slab i cut out of the garage so i could have a door straight into the house. It weighs 3500 lbs. Harbor freight 10k winch- seems to work good. I didn't have any pipe and it was saturday so i just used that rectangle tube which is way overkill, thus i didn't bother tieing to the top of the poles as is proper. The hood is open because i just ran a chain back to the frame behind the front cab body mounts for 'triangulation' so i didn't have to beef up the frame. I was pulling a trailer up the hill with it next to a cliff. As soon as the back end came off the ground, the whole thing swung sideways pivoting on the front wheels(the steering wheel turned) and the back end was in the air hanging off the cliff. that was an oh shit, i'm a dumbass moment. The second pic is for when i get a big truck :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U should see it when i don't have the jack stands under there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts