Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm back after taking some time off to go chase White Tails around the Wisconsin north woods. I see All-Pro released their new birfs while I was away! Since the cat is out of the bag, I can fill everyone in on my small part of the testing and development that went in to these new birfs.
I was contacted some time ago by All-Pro about testing some new birfields they were develping. I thought it would be fun so I readily agreed. To be honest, the first prototype was disapointing. They were about on par with Newfields. I have run Longs for a long time and used the durability of the Longs as a benchmark. I called them with the results and they were disapointed to say the least. Here is where I started to see the commitment that Jon and Mike were willing to make to build the best birf they could. Although I was not privy to they details of the metelurgical and engineering efforts made, I got the impression it was extensive. They brought in the best in the buisness for help. Jack Graef of CTM. The set I am testing now has survived a few dozon runs up some of the best Arizona has got to offer. I was running them in my new buggy in its first comp and they held up to full awn tire smoking, pedal to the floor abuse with no problems. I was concerned that my buggy was too light to really produce an objective test, so I put them in the old red truck, setting the stops to aproximately 35 degrees from straight ahead. After being satisfied with them running trails, I spent an entire day just jamming the front wheels under every nasty ledge I could find. I finally got a bang out of the front axle, took it apart to find an exploded front hub. No spare. Bummer. On my last trip out with them I was on mission to come back with something busted. We found some big brutal rocks to play on near to the tow rig and went to town. I spotted my friend Matt (the current owner of my old rig) over every nasty spot we could find. After a few hours of this, a miscue on my part landed him on his side with the RF in a big nasty hole with the wheel bound tight. He was in double low, so I told him to try to back out of it. Since the wheel was bound tight I knew something was going to blow. I didn't get the usual birfield bang. The wheel just quit turning then started to jump.
We finally Hi-Lifted the rig out of the hole and surveyed the damage. What I found was that the splines on the inner axle had sheared. It was one of the first Chromo axles All-Pro sold that had survived some birf failures, the hub failure I mentioned, and one very nasty ring and pinion failure. It did damage the birf, cracking the inner star.

My personal opinion (for what its worth) is that they came up with an excellent birfield. We are going to continue to run them, and I will post anything noteworthy on them as we go.

I have tested them so far with chromo axles only, on 37x13.50" Mickey Thompson Comp Claws (bias ply), 223:1 crawl ratio and an ARB locker.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Wow! Great to hear. Its tempting to take the $$ I was going to spend on a 60 and put it back into a good ol Toy front end!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Where in wisconsin?? Lakewood at the Pipeline??:confused:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Definately sounds like the " "-field wars are heating up. Can't wait till they can go head to head with a "stock" 60, not Camofied. :p

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Mike Bundrant said:
A big All Pro thanks to Zags for your excellent testing and write up!!!

More testing and product reviews are on the way.
Hey Mike, Do you have anything more to offer us than an arguably comparable product to a Longfield for $10 more and we have to pay the shipping?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
desertoy said:

Hey Mike, Do you have anything more to offer us than an arguably comparable product to a Longfield for $10 more and we have to pay the shipping?

SMACK!

·
Registered
186 Posts
desertoy said:

Well....let's see...

NEW PROFIELDS.....$79 EA!!!!

Get 'em while they last. Check the ALL PRO WEBSITE for package deals with our chromoly axles.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mike Bundrant said:

Well....let's see...

Get 'em while they last. Check the ALL PRO WEBSITE for package deals with our chromoly axles.
How is this possible???????????

I had to pay $215 for my Longfields just a few months ago and now a comparable product is selling for almost a third of that...?????

This is incredible.

I guess I can never sell my stock birfields now, when you can buy a much better product or only $79.

How long will this price last???????

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Mike Bundrant said:

Well....let's see...

Mike , how much would shipping be to 15683 ? (east coast)

Maybe you could post some shipping prices to some major cities for us to get an idea on the cost of shipping.

New York ?

Richmond ?

Atlanta ?

Pittsburgh ? :D

Kansas City ?

Ft. Worth ?

Denver ?

Chicago ?

Salt Lake City ?

Seattle ?

That should cover a good part of the country.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
B4Wheeler said:
How is this possible???????????
He's selling them at a loss to get them out there, so people will see them on the trail in Toys that aren't breaking (or are breaking inners).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
ahh, finally I have something to put on my christmas list! now I just need to get my aussie locker.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mike Bundrant said:

Well....let's see...

:eek: :eek: :eek: damn mike ,that's nice :D

will be calling ya guys tomorrow and ordering a set ;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
flimmy said:

Mike , how much would shipping be to 15683 ? (east coast)

Maybe you could post some shipping prices to some major cities for us to get an idea on the cost of shipping.

New York ?

Richmond ?

Atlanta ?

Pittsburgh ? :D

Kansas City ?

Ft. Worth ?

Denver ?

Chicago ?

Salt Lake City ?

Seattle ?

That should cover a good part of the country.
Hey Flimmy,don't know if ya got your answer yet :confused: but just called and to 45014 ( cincy/fairfield,Oh.) shipping is $16.52 UPS...just giving ya an idea :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Mike Bundrant said:

Well....let's see...

Great Deal. Thanks for steppin up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts